94 with 98 interior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred1

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post so I'll apologize ahead of time if this has already been answered.
I have a 94 k1500 wt package. It is in need of a new interior. Is it possible to put a newer style dash and radio, HVAC, etc…from a 98 in my truck while keeping my computer, wiring harness, and TBI?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Certainly. It's just a lot of work, and finding an intact donor dash is.... Fun. HVAC is pretty easy, repinning the cluster connector isn't too bad.. I'd go with a 95- 96 dash tho, 97+ had an airbag on the passenger side.

Fred1

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers.
To make it simple I need to keep the 94 interior.
Another question. This is a wt package truck so no power windows or locks. If I find a donor truck what year's wiring harness for power doors and locks is compatible? From what I've read on here is 92-94 all the same?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
88-94 really. Just depends on what you want the switches to look like - 88-89 had square switches, the rest rounded iirc. But the wiring is pretty much the same between 88-94.
And the harnesses are a separate section that plugs into the convenience center under the dash. 88-94 pretty easy to convert from manual to power. 95-up a bit more work as the harness is more complex.

OP you probably already know this but you can convert to power while keeping your existing door, just swap the guts from the donor truck - the inner metal panel that unscrews from the door shell.

EDIT - a caveat - if you have a regular 2dr pickup, get your parts from another 2dr pickup, not a 4dr like an SUV or crew cab. The door panels and switches are different and you'll have some minor grief making the wiring work correctly. It's been -forever- since I helped a friend with this as he insisted on using Suburban door panels in his regular cab, so I can't honestly remember what it took to make the wiring work. Someone smarter than me could probably look at the diagrams and figure it out quickly.

Richard

Last edited:

theworm84

Reaction score
I'm doing this swap on my 97 Kodiak (has square dash) does anyone know how to wire in the 98 hvac controls?