94 tbi question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71rider88

Reaction score
i got a 94 Z71 has the 5.7 tbi engine in it has a new motor only has 40k and the intake is leaking in the front I bought a brand new engine and trans from the dealer and had them install it it’s been a few years now but I want to gain more power out of the tbi should I put a high rise intake or a edelbrock performer or rom intake in order to make more torque and horsepower thanks in advance I also have long tube headers and no cats

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The intake that comes with the tbi motor is already a good flowing aluminum unit and i doubt replacing it at this point would do much. I think youd be better off doing the ported tbi mod if you haven't already.

Just know that there is no mod for a tbi motor that will help more than replacing the heads. Trying to get more bang out of tje motor with stock heads may leave you disappointed.

* Edit* Before I'm crucified I wanted to say that you can get more bang from a tbi motor but the money wpuld be best spent in gearing and or a higher stall if more power is what you want.

Z71rider88

Reaction score
The intake that comes with the tbi motor is already a good flowing aluminum unit and i doubt replacing it at this point would do much. I think youd be better off doing the ported tbi mod if you haven't already.

Just know that there is no mod for a tbi motor that will help more than replacing the heads. Trying to get more bang out of tje motor with stock heads may leave you disappointed.

* Edit* Before I'm crucified I wanted to say that you can get more bang from a tbi motor but the money wpuld be best spent in gearing and or a higher stall if more power is what you want.

Yah I left out also had 4.88 gears done when I had new motor and trans installed along with my 6” pro comp lift but I understand may get some bowtie heads or something what do you recommend

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any head that flows differently than the stocker will require extreme modification to the stock efi system, or will need to replaced entirely with an aftermarket efi or a carb in order to run right. If you went with vortec heads and a super mild cam you might be able to get the stock efi to run okay there are some people that have done it but that is not my area of expertise. * edit anybody that knows more please corrrect me.

To me theres no reason to run any head that isnt a vorrtec unles its an aluminum head. The bottom end of these motors are very solidly built and can push out someserious power.

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use a stock LT-1 cam. Get a used one on ebay for 50 or so. They pull very nice in a heavy truck and can run on the stock tune in MOST cases. You will need the spider retainer, dogbones and cam retaining plate to swap to a roller cam (can be found in bone;yard for next to nothing), but it is worth it to get away from a flat tappet cam.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I have just about everything that can be done to my 94 ECSB Z71.

I have a .040 bore, rebuilt 906 vortec truck heads, vortec tbi intake, mellings MTC-1 cam, tuned by Ed Wright, stock replacement dizzy and coil, Taylor 8mm wires, and AC Delco plugs. I have a TBI spacer, ported TBI from Roy Morse, stock 350 injectors, 18psi fuel pressure spring and a 155lph pump from Brian Harris. I’m also running an open element top and side K&N filter. Exhaust is summit racing ceramic shorty headers, true duals into Jones Full Boar 10 series mufflers (knock off flowmaster 10’s) into 18” echo chambers.

All of that is pushed through a NV4500 transmission with a ceramic clutch, and this was after destroying two NV3500’s. I’m also running a 6 lug 14 bolt with 3.73’s, but I’m lacking a locker to transfer the power to both wheels.

I plan on regearing to 4.10’s and a Detroit whenever the cash becomes available. The estimated power/ torque is in the neighborhood of 375/380 (figure is conservative at that), but it is a wild ride for something that weighs close to 6k pounds. Mine was built for towing and play, I have not had it on a dyno to verify power, it is only speculation.