94 Silverado Starter Keeps Turning After Engine Starts?? Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19Silverado94

Reaction score
I went to replace my Knock Sensor, turned it with a socket but the inside part just spun. So I removed the starter to gain access to the Knock Sensor with my RoboGrip pliers. Put the starter back in and now it won’t shut off even after the truck starts? It sounds awful while the engine is running so I turn off the engine and take out the key but the starter is still going! Only way I can get the starter to go off is disconnecting the positive terminal on the battery. Please help!

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps at all but sounds like the solenoid is welding itself closed circuit. I think on Chevy's it lives on the starter but I've never had to deal with one. My experience with solenoids doing that has been with older Ford panther stuff. Luckily with those they're mounted on the passenger fender so a good whap with a rubber mallet is all they need until I could get a suitable replacement.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps at all but sounds like the solenoid is welding itself closed circuit. I think on Chevy's it lives on the starter but I've never had to deal with one. My experience with solenoids doing that has been with older Ford panther stuff. Luckily with those they're mounted on the passenger fender so a good whap with a rubber mallet is all they need until I could get a suitable replacement.
x2 on the solenoid being stuck,at least take it apart and check it out.Is it possible to buy a solenoid only these days?...dunno.

19Silverado94

Reaction score

I’m going to remove he starter and get it tested. I replace the ignition switch with a known good switch with no change, so it’s not that.

x2 on the solenoid being stuck,at least take it apart and check it out.Is it possible to buy a solenoid only these days?...dunno.

Yes you can buy just the solenoid, but a new starter is just $8 more. This starter is new(rebuilt) at $37.99 from Oreilys.

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m going to remove he starter and get it tested. I replace the ignition switch with a known good switch with no change, so it’s not that.

Yes you can buy just the solenoid, but a new starter is just $8 more. This starter is new(rebuilt) at $37.99 from Oreilys.

If theres any warranty take it back and exchange it. 37 for a starter seems very cheap. I paid about 100 for mine for my 1998 5.7. If theres no warranty see about ordering either a new solenoid or entire starter online. It would be simpler but more expensive to replace the whole thing.

19Silverado94

Reaction score
If theres any warranty take it back and exchange it. 37 for a starter seems very cheap. I paid about 100 for mine for my 1998 5.7. If theres no warranty see about ordering either a new solenoid or entire starter online. It would be simpler but more expensive to replace the whole thing.

Found out there’s 2 different starters. One is a Direct Drive, other is a Gear Reduction. First one is $34, other is $99.

I did some checking on the starter switch wire to the S terminal on the starter solenoid. At key on, not cranking, the wire is getting ~3.08V. At key on, cranking it’s getting 12.65V. Is this normal?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure that solenoid wire (small wire) isn't touching the battery cable? It is easy to do with the cable that has the alignment "leg".

19Silverado94

Reaction score
Are you sure that solenoid wire (small wire) isn't touching the battery cable? It is easy to do with the cable that has the alignment "leg".

Unless it’s touching on the ‘inside’, no it doesn’t appear to be touching. I did check that.

19Silverado94

Reaction score
I went through the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual for the 88-95 starting and charging system. Noticed in the diagram that there’s no start relays to work with and that the wire is supposed to be purple. Went under to check and found that the starter switch ignition wire was red. Hm.. followers the wire up into the harness and it was crimped to a gray wire. At this point I’m confused. But the gray wire eventually changed color to purple. I could see exposed copper on the gray portion of the wire so I cut it at the crimp and used heat shrink tubing over the exposed areas to insulate the wiring then soldered the wires together. Went to start the truck and no more constant cranking! Wouldn’t start after that but that was because of a blown INJ fuse. Wanted to update this thread for future reference! Thank you guys for the input!

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
:waytogo:

Perhaps some of your local furry friends had need in there and chewed on that wire and the previous PO changed the wire with whatever colored wire he had available.