'94 Chevy C1500 Simultaneous Stall/Electrical Malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmm98

Reaction score
I have a 1994 stepside Chevy C1500, 5.7 L V8 engine

This past week, my truck has started acting up. Within the first 5-10 minutes of driving, after being at a complete stop at a light or a stop sign, when trying to accelerate, the truck engine along with the inside electrical system dies. Sometimes it’s a barely noticeable skip but sometimes it shuts off enough for the radio to completely turn off and back on again. As far as I can tell, the dash lights, AC control panel, and radio all turn off as well as the engine but for less than a second. This has happened pretty consistently for the past week, but it only happens once or twice within the first 10 or so minutes of driving which makes me think it has something to do with the truck warming up.

For the first time today, the speedometer dipped by 20 mph for a second before jumping back up to normal and then a few seconds later, the truck revved up by about 1000 rpms before dropping back down after a second.

I’m at a complete loss as to the issue. I’ve checked battery connections and alternator connections. Everything appears fine to me. Does anyone have any guesses?

I know that I need to replace the idle air control valve which is on my list of things to do, but I don’t think that’s the issue because I can’t imagine how that would be affecting the electrical components.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bad grounds, bad battery connection, loose terminals. Check the big three. That is all it could be due to the complete failure of all the components. The cables may look good but they rot from the inside out.