94 4.3 to TBI'd 350 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phat69

Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages of swapping a vortec 350 into my 94 V6 truck.

What I have
vortec 350 long block
edelbrock performer vortec intake
e-fan set up from early 00's trucks with realys/j box
'87 454 TBI unit

What I know I'll need
Tbi 350 chip
V8 distributor
V8 frame to engine mount brackets
Tbi to carb adapter
1996 Vortec 155lph fuel pump

Will the stock small block/V6 be enough or should I get a bored out unit?
Can I run SBC/91C injectors in the 454 unit?
Stock tune or custom ?
Anything else I will need?

Last edited:

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're going to want a custom tune for sure. I would do a modified 350 TBI minimum. You'll need to address the exhaust and possibly the radiator, I don't know whether the V6s had the same unit. You don't mention the tranny, I can tell you from past experience a moded V8 backed up by a V6 tranny will not last too long.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
454 tbis flow 670cfms I think so plenty airflow and 94-95 454 Tbi units used 4.3 injectors with 30 psi pump so with your vortec pump keep the 4.3s.
You need Caprice tbi distributor or an aftermarket one for the roller cam.
Early 454 tbis had a spreadbore to tbi adapter that lets you plumb intake correctly and GM has a vortec carb spreadbore intake with EGR.

JLG88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a Vortec 350 from a 97 suburban converted to carb and used all the serpentine accessories and installed it in my 89 RCSB. I used an accel HEI distributor with the right distributor gear for the roller cam. Removed stock plastic timing cover and installed a metal timing cover. I’m running a 700r4 behind it. By far easier then keeping the tbi unit and get better airflow. This picture was before I had cleaned up the wiring harness.

You must be registered for see images attach