93 Suburban 13.6V @ Temp Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kw62583

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 93 K1500 Suburban, while trying to figure out why the temp gauge doesn't go past 100 deg when hot I found the temp sensor connector is getting 13.6V, isn't the sensor only supposed to have 5V? what would cause this?

Anchor

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 93 K1500 Suburban, while trying to figure out why the temp gauge doesn't go past 100 deg when hot I found the temp sensor connector is getting 13.6V, isn't the sensor only supposed to have 5V? what would cause this?
Temp sensor by T-stat housing should get 5 volts but, correct me if i'm wrong, temp gauge on gauge cluster is driven by sensor on drivers side head and I think gets electrical system voltage. My temp gauge in 92 is acting in a similar fashion and I need to replace.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't have OE service manuals, from the sticky above gets to thread to free PDF downloads your year, your always gonna be guessing. If you had the manuals you would have these really cool diagnostic pages.
You must be registered for see images attach

kw62583

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I've downloaded and read through them although it looks like I may have misread the operation portion. So I should have battery or system voltage at the connector for the temp gauge sensor in the driver side head. The diagnostic procedures listed I have followed, I ground the wire and the gauge indicates hot and I have replaced my sensor. The replacement reads around 4-5k ohms cold (around 55 ambient) and dropped to 150-500ohms at operating temp (don't remember the exact reading) which fell in line with the charts I've found online when looking into this. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like my actual Gauge is bad then, Correct?

kw62583

Reaction score
I forgot to mention when I turn the key on the gauge does sweep to full hot and back and as it heats up to normal operating temp the needle does slightly rise to sit right on 100 deg.