93-Sierra's C1500 "Orange Crush"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So for those of you who frequent the site, I'm sure you've seen a few pictures of my truck, but I figured I'd put everything in one place. And this way I can always add to this thread if I have any insignificant updates. Once I'm done school and working, things will move a lot quicker. I also have some other projects, but those are for different threads... Anyways, I picked this truck up back in April of 2012. It has a newish 305 with a 4L60e. I paid $800 for it. Some front brake pads, ebrake cables, and a wallet that was $200 lighter later, and it was inspected and on the road.

first day home, with my $400 winter beater Golf peaking into the picture

You must be registered for see images attach

When I bought the truck, the guy had two 4 inch stacks coming out the box. He kept the actual stacks, but the exhaust still had the 90's pointing up. No cats, cherry bomb glasspacks, and exhaust pointing straight up past the cab = ridiculously loud...

Which lead to this little purchase:

True dual y-pipe with cats, stainless tubing, dual cherry bomb glasspacks, and polished tips that exit at the corners of the bed. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have fabbed up my own exhaust rather than buying this system. One tailpipe is angled down, while the other is pointing up. Annoys the hell out of me everytime I look at it, but the truck sounds good and the price was right ($200 for a complete exhaust system front to back).

During install:

Shortly after the exhaust install, the fuel pump went (of course) and I decided removing the box was the easiest way to go. It would have made the exhaust install much easier too, UGH

In the background you can make out a green ECSB. It's a 98, and as of 2 weeks ago it was GIVEN to me! I will make another thread about that one soon enough.

Since then, the truck has been trouble free. I installed shorty headers on it near the end of summer, which actually improved my gas mileage surprisingly. The truck had 31x10.5's on when I bought it, and it SUCKED. As of this month I finally broke down and bought some 235/75's, and it's like night and day... The TC was constantly going in and out of lockup on the tiniest of hills on the highway, but now she just cruises along. I went from getting 300km to a tank, to nearly 500km a tank. Definitely worth the $200 for the tires.

I'm sick of writing already haha so here's some more pictures.

with 31's

with 235's

my trailer all closed up for winter while I'm away at school

changing a balljoint over Christmas holiday's

And last but not least, here's a picture of some of my toys from last summer. I don't have a ton of money, but I make due with what I have, and have some fun along the way!!

Once I'm done school, my plans include:
-new cab corners and rockers
-new box, as this one is beyond repair
-repaint it orange, or more than likely red
-lower it 3/4
-louder exhaust

this truck will continue to be my daily. the Volkswagen Golf in the last picture is my weekend cruiser, it's where most of my money has gone over the years, until I bought my own place of course. The 98 ECSB will be a longer project, as it needs some serious love. Comments, criticism , ideas, hate mail, etc etc is all welcome! Thanks for looking

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had some issues with the truck the past week or so. Ran rough, stalled, etc etc. Turned out to be a bad ground on the thermostat housing. Cleaned it up and she's running like a top again! Really need to get around to installing my shift kit and alleviate the problems I've been having with my transmission...

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Had some issues with the truck the past week or so. Ran rough, stalled, etc etc. Turned out to be a bad ground on the thermostat housing. Cleaned it up and she's running like a top again! Really need to get around to installing my shift kit and alleviate the problems I've been having with my transmission...

What problems does your transmission have? I have had a trans-go shift kit before (mustang) and the transmission shop I went to wouldn't install it without testing driving and checking the transmission for issues. I was told if anything is already worn out the shift kit would kill it. however, if its in good shape the kit would prolong the life of it.

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my truck is cold, the transmission shifts perfectly. As it warms up, the shifts are alot slower, sloppier, etc. Its so bad that I pretty much have to let off of the gas pedal just before it shifts to prevent it from slipping. I'm basically loosing line pressure, probably due to a leaking boost valve, EPC solenoid, or clogged EPC screen. The Transgo HD2-c kit comes with the parts to fix these issues. I'm just hoping that I don't have other leaking seals, or the transmission is gonna have to come out...

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put over 2000 km's on it in the past month or so. Figured out my truck is running at an average of 16.9L/100km on the highway, or a measly 13ish miles per gallon... Can't really figure out why though, my truck has a newer cap and rotor, plug wires, and plugs. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the PO who did the work didn't gap the plugs properly. The truck runs wonderfully, so what the HELL??? How are guys with 454's getting the same highway mileage? I figured I'd be around 16 mpg or better..

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Put over 2000 km's on it in the past month or so. Figured out my truck is running at an average of 16.9L/100km on the highway, or a measly 13ish miles per gallon... Can't really figure out why though, my truck has a newer cap and rotor, plug wires, and plugs. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the PO who did the work didn't gap the plugs properly. The truck runs wonderfully, so what the HELL??? How are guys with 454's getting the same highway mileage? I figured I'd be around 16 mpg or better..

The 305 is an anchor :p You'd get the same or better fuel mileage with the 350 lol.
I know my 350 Vortec does a solid 13-14 in town, 16/17 highway speeds.
The 305 TBI with 5-speed was like 8-10 in town, 10-12 highway lol

Edit: Where are my manners? Nice truck man :) Good project!

Last edited:

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im liking the color! looks alot like my '94 lol.
Haha thanks man! To be honest I wasn't overly fond of it when I first bought the truck, but it has grown on me. I wish my truck looked half as good as yours though...

The 305 is an anchor :p You'd get the same or better fuel mileage with the 350 lol.
I know my 350 Vortec does a solid 13-14 in town, 16/17 highway speeds.
The 305 TBI with 5-speed was like 8-10 in town, 10-12 highway lol

Edit: Where are my manners? Nice truck man :) Good project!

Thanks for the kind words! Some people say I'll get better mileage, others say it'll be worse. I've kinda stopped caring, when I'm worried about spending too much on gas, I just take my Volkswagen places. I've made absolutely zero progress on the truck, as I'm spending most of my time doing things around the house. I got a new job too, I'm away from home 2 weeks at a time. Money is good though, so I can't complain. AAAANNND I'm fixing up a 98 Silverado 4x4 ;) I'll have to make a thread for that one too

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, this build ended before it really started.. Sacrificed this truck for the greater good of a much better truck. The body was just too far gone to sink money into a 2wd work truck. If it was a short box, I would have spared it lol. Anyways, the motor has been removed for my 93 RCLB 4x4. I will be keeping this truck around for a while to use for parts, and will also be parting out whatever else is left. Who knows, maybe one day I'll throw a motor back in it for the hell of it. But for now, it's going to sit right here...

Thanks for tuning in folks, I'll be sure to make a thread for my other trucks in the not-so distant future.