90 silverado 350 overheating in severe cold weather?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan243

Reaction score
so its -18 in chicago today, -35 with windchill and i went to leave for work and the truck actually started ok . i let it run for about 20 mins or so and it was fine untill i started driving down the block and noticed the guage climbing fast, i barely made it around the block and the guage was buried. upper hose seems like its full of warm air , no coolant. im assuming the t stat took a ? just seems kinda weird. i have never had an issue in any other temps with the truck, hot or cold and just changed the coolant this past summer and it is full. any info would help. to f ing cold to mess with now , and this thing is to long to fit in my garage ,so i will prob wait till wed to mess with it. my other car i have has a week battery that i know will leave me stranded , and im planning on selling the car this spring so i dont want to drop a 100 dollar battery in it at this time

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Frozen coolant? When's the last time you checked the condition of it to be sure you had sufficient mix?

Richard

ryan243

Reaction score
no its not frozen , just checked and replaced this last summer

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
I would check to see at what temp your coolant is good to. It might look liquid at the top but frozen at the bottom of the radiator.

ryan243

Reaction score
typical hot lower hose, cold upper though, but anything is possible

ryan243

Reaction score
yep it was the t-stat, she lives another day! i love and hate this truck ( my first chevy i have had 5 or 6 fords and loved them, but my dad was a hardcore checy guy RIP ) every time i drive this thing something else goes wrong , but it is 24 years old.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
yep it was the t-stat, she lives another day! i love and hate this truck ( my first chevy i have had 5 or 6 fords and loved them, but my dad was a hardcore checy guy RIP ) every time i drive this thing something else goes wrong , but it is 24 years old.

Cool....err, hot....aww, heck. You know what I mean!

:rofl: