9.25 ifs differential differences ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K2500cruiser

Reaction score
Blew up the diff in my '00 Chev and I was wondering if over the life span of the gmt 400 did they change the front diff at any point ? Got one out of a 95 to go back in place, but looked slightly different both 8 lug

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
ASsuming your 2000 is an OBS, the diff should be the same as far as I know. The only change I can think of was the axle disconnect.

K2500cruiser

Reaction score
ASsuming your 2000 is an OBS, the diff should be the same as far as I know. The only change I can think of was the axle disconnect.
Yup its a obs the one in my sig, still got the axles from the tru k it came out of so worst case scenario I should be good I guess, thanks !

Jacob

Reaction score
I think the only difference is the thermal dissconect instead of the electric one. You might have to get the slug for the 95 axle to use the electric actuator on it. I have seen you have to do some grinding on the housing also. Look at some of the videos on YouTube about upgrading from a thermal to electric actuator and you will see what is different.

K2500cruiser

Reaction score
Sorry for being so long getting back I've been busy, the diff split, so do or die time, although I couldn't find anything on YouTube Jacob could you help point me in the right direction ?

Jacob

Reaction score
I have seen some YouTube videos on upgrading the actuator. Look up thermal to electric actuator of gm or something like that. There was one that showed exactly what you had to grind. It will also show the slug you have to have.

You could also find the upgrade harness that comes with the slug on rock auto and see the difference between the two actuators if you look up a 95.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Upgraded my Burb to electric actuator a couple of years ago,very easy.I used Dorman parts. The actuator & harness came in seperate boxes and have their own part #.Don't remember doing any grinding though when installing.

Check these part numbers:

Dorman:
Harness 600-600
Actuator 600-101

K2500cruiser

Reaction score
You guys are right the only difference is the actuator,they won't interchange directly so I just swapped the full arm section, great thing cause I needed to replace the axle seals, hopefully this thread can help others!