89Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Sport16

Reaction score
89 Chevy Sport, I did the LS Swap in the Spring, I just wanted to drive it all Summer so I wasn’t willing to tear into anything. It’s Winter in Ohio, so it’s put away for the year, getting ready for a RideTech 4/6 drop and even though I love the SS wheels, I’m thinking about switching to 20” Detroit Steel Deray’s with the red and black bow tie chrome center caps. The 5.3 Swap was a huge upgrade over the 5.7 TBI, I’m still on a stock tune tune until I change the wheel and tire combo.

You must be registered for see images attach

89Sport16

Reaction score
Started working on the suspension, I finished the rear yesterday, now I’m moving to the front.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yes. It corrects the shock angle. Otherwise, the shocks react in the manner of a lever as opposed to absorbing the motion of the suspension. They end up swinging instead of compressing.
The lower extenders allow for a shock with a decent length in order to be able to absorb as they were designed to.
If you check the shock part numbers that are listed for a 4" & a 6" drop, they are the same within each of the various manufacturers.
The lower extenders do an adequate job of correcting that angle when used with a 4" drop, but leave a fair amount to be desired with a 6" drop.
The same shocks are used in conjunction with both the lower extenders & the upper relocation plates. No need to go to an even shorter shock with the upper relocators.
Shocks don't have a 'sweet spot' where they operate the best. They do not have to be sitting in the exact center of the shock's stroke with the suspension at it's final height setting. As long as they are not bottoming or topping out at the suspension's limit they'll work fine.
The lowers are about adding length. The uppers are about angle correction.
Relocationg the upper mounts on my black '98 was one of the better mods when it came to handling. The rear suspension now feels that it is working in harmony with the front.
The benefits far outweigh the rather minimal cost.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Also...don't forget to notch the box cross member. The lowering kit instructions don't mention that.
I boxed the notch, but it's not required. Just me practicing the welding skills. (...or lack thereof! Lol!)
That brakeline bracket was modded a bit, too.

89Sport16

Reaction score
Yes. It corrects the shock angle. Otherwise, the shocks react in the manner of a lever as opposed to absorbing the motion of the suspension. They end up swinging instead of compressing.
The lower extenders allow for a shock with a decent length in order to be able to absorb as they were designed to.
If you check the shock part numbers that are listed for a 4" & a 6" drop, they are the same within each of the various manufacturers.
The lower extenders do an adequate job of correcting that angle when used with a 4" drop, but leave a fair amount to be desired with a 6" drop.
The same shocks are used in conjunction with both the lower extenders & the upper relocation plates. No need to go to an even shorter shock with the upper relocators.
Shocks don't have a 'sweet spot' where they operate the best. They do not have to be sitting in the exact center of the shock's stroke with the suspension at it's final height setting. As long as they are not bottoming or topping out at the suspension's limit they'll work fine.
The lowers are about adding length. The uppers are about angle correction.
Relocationg the upper mounts on my black '98 was one of the better mods when it came to handling. The rear suspension now feels that it is working in harmony with the front.
The benefits far outweigh the rather minimal cost.

Yeah, that makes sense and I should just get it done now. I’ll be notching the cross member once I get a few people to stand the bed up on the bulkhead.

I found a bad idler arm on the front, all the tie rods are pretty crusty, I’m considering replacing both sets of tie rods with the idler arm too. I’ll just add those to my parts list....