89 Sierra 350 cutting out under load - HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulling codes is not "scanning", codes are not the same as looking at the data stream. You cannot access the data stream with a paperclip.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Pulling codes is not "scanning", codes are not the same as looking at the data stream. You cannot access the data stream with a paperclip.

Scanning can imply "scanning for codes" by using a scanner or scanning for live data by using a scanner.....It's not cut and dry.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have OBD1, you can pull the codes yourself with a paperclip. Oreillys most likely wont do that for you. Their scanners are usually for OBD2 vehicles.

Yes our oreillys’ scanner will pull the codes if they are present. There is an adapter for the obd 1 port, but most importantly needs to be hooked to power on the vehicle (cig lighter or battery) as the OBD1 computers are not self powering like an obd2.
However it sounds more like you need to stream the data which no simple code reader (or paper clip) can give you.
Need a full blown scan tool for that.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay guys... got the truck fixed. It ended up being a bad ignition coil, EGR valve, and EGR solenoid.
Are you sure the EGR valve was defective? You replaced it and nothing changed. The EGR solenoid may have made it seem like the EGR valve wasn't working.
So i found that the EGR valve was shot. went ahead and replaced it, it still didnt change anything.
Not at all surprised that the ignition coil was defective.
Test spark intensity--heavy load problems can be a weak ignition coil.
Good job on the EGR solenoid, though.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Coils can cause a lot of headaches on TBI motors. I had a 1991 square body Suburban that due to the low mileage needed all of the ignition components, including the coil, replaced due to moisture corrosion. Slapped an MSD coil on it not knowing any better and it was fine for a year. Then it started randomly stalling and not starting just like a bad ICM. It took a friend of mine who is a GM Tech and had access to the old school scanner to watch what was going on before we found out the coil was bad. After that I learned the MSD coils are inferior to the AC Delco part.

I don’t doubt the EGR was bad if it was original. I was chasing down a knock sensor code when I found my valve wouldn’t hold vacuum on my current truck. No codes but it was bad.

Cole K

Reaction score
Are you sure the EGR valve was defective? You replaced it and nothing changed. The EGR solenoid may have made it seem like the EGR valve wasn't working.

Not at all surprised that the ignition coil was defective.

Good job on the EGR solenoid, though.

Yes I am sure, the egr valve would not hold vacuum. It also was original. I dont think the ICM was bad, i think it was a mistake to replace it out. But it doesn't hurt anything besides my wallet haha