89 manual loud as hell!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MLX10

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I just bought an 89 k1500 4 speed manual with overdrive. The truck is great but the shifting is scaring me a little. It is incredibly clunky and clunky. Every time I push down the clutch while driving it clunks. Putting into the next gear and clink clank. Pretty loud. When I let go of the clutch in the next gear it clunks. Is this normal? Clutch seems to grab fine. Clutch pedal is hard as hell to push down. It never pops out of gear or has problems engaging it's just loud and sloppy. Makes me feel like something is definitely wrong. Does anyone know what's going on?

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Have you checked the fluid level in the transmission? Have you checked your driveline for any obvious signs of wear (u-joints, etc), have you checked the rear differential? Have you done anything yet to troubleshoot yourself?

How many miles?

MLX10

Reaction score
Yes, driveline has no serious sins of wear. All is right with limited rust. I have not personally checked any fluid levels except the rear differential and it looks fine. I just got it back from getting new ball joints and full safety inspection for PA. He road tested it and said that they were just clunky and it was nothing to worry about. I've had 6 manual transmission vehicles in my life and something seems wrong. I'm not sure what to do next. The odometer reads 60k miles and so does the title but that is suspect.

bsn1989

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the fluid level in the transmission. My truck is an 89 with the same transmission. It will have a 5LM60 if it is the original trans. They take two quarts of synchromesh fluid. Get the stuff found here http://www.ebay.com/itm/161475758781?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You can also find the fluid at your local NAPA or auto parts store.

I will tell you, this transmission is a little notchy, it shouldn't make those kinds of noises though. If it makes noise when you push in the clutch, the throwout bearing is likely bad. My trans is a little notchy and has 150k miles on it if that is any consolation.

Anyway, the fill hole is the plug on the passenger side of the transmission on the picture below. The drain is on the bottom of the transmission. Both take a 17mm hex head to remove it. My advice is get a bolt with a 17mm head on it, put a nut on the threads and weld the nut to the threads. Then you can use the head of the 17mm bolt as the hex head, much cheaper than buying one.

Drain the transmission by removing the bottom plug until it drains completely. Replace the plug and then pull the side fill hex head and fill it until it starts leaking out. Take it for a drive afterwards and see if it is any better.

You must be registered for see images attach

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
My old one had a separated trans mount, so sometimes when getting on it and shifting it would clunk from bouncing up and down, wouldn't have known it by looking at it, had to push up on the tailshaft to notice.

MLX10

Reaction score
Thanks guys it's definitely helpful. I'm not sure what you mean by notchy. I realize it realize it will never be smooth. Before I put money into the loft and tied and such I want to make sure the trans is on decent condition.

Thabks for letting me know the trans is 5LM60 I had a hard time finding that. When I get home from work I'll definitely be checking and changing the fluid.

Throw out bearing huh... although I can do most work, transmission work is not my thing. If it is the throwout bearing, what price are we taking for taking it to a transmission shop???

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Thanks guys it's definitely helpful. I'm not sure what you mean by notchy. I realize it realize it will never be smooth. Before I put money into the loft and tied and such I want to make sure the trans is on decent condition.

Thabks for letting me know the trans is 5LM60 I had a hard time finding that. When I get home from work I'll definitely be checking and changing the fluid.

Throw out bearing huh... although I can do most work, transmission work is not my thing. If it is the throwout bearing, what price are we taking for taking it to a transmission shop???
Expensive. Trans has to come out but a decent clutch kit can be had for inder 200 and should include pilot, throwout bearings, clutch, psi plate and an alignment tool. Its honestly not a bad job.

MLX10

Reaction score
Damn. Expensive as in over $1000 all said and done? Before I take that leap of faith I'm going to make sure I diagnose it correctly and do all the minors things first.