89 c1500 A/C bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Also thanks for helping me out! I normally don't post anything, but I'm tired of racking my brain! It's good to know that I can find help on here when needed.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Also thanks for helping me out! I normally don't post anything, but I'm tired of racking my brain! It's good to know that I can find help on here when needed.

That's what we're here for! Don't hesitate to post up a question if you've got one.

Reaction score
Just a by the way. Got the bypass put on tonight. So far no issues, I guess they are just stupid by not listing the 88-89 on those things. Also, I'd like to say thanks again for the info!

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are these compressors known for seizing up like this? Is there an average mileage range where it does this? I'm running the original compressor, so I'm a bit concerned, but the truck only has 130K on it, and the A/C compressor likely has far less "mileage" on it, since I just got the A/C charged a few weeks back.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
The compressor on my Mustang seized up and I tore it out and put a pulley there instead, worked like a charm. Now I'm looking at pulling the extra pulley out along with the smog pump and getting a shorter belt.

I don't know the 350 as well as I know my Mustang's 302, but if there is a way to rip off the compressor and install a shorter belt I would recommend going that route rather than a useless pulley...

jrp12357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have an ac bypass pulley on my truck bc my ac clutch took a crap. I hope to replace my ac end of year.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the thing is supposed to be with them 88-89's is they have the big steel horseshoe bracket instead of the alum ones.

I was too afraid of taking the chance on it not working so when I deleted my ac I went another route. I bought a non a/c truck tensioner, and bracket which mounts different from the ac one, and uses a 4 rib pulley instead of 6. On these ealry years I guess non ac used 4 groove/rib and ac had 6. Well I ended up with a pulley from a mustang i think that was 6 rib and fit the tensioner and used a 6 rib belt, and IMo it's much cleaner, no huge bracket on that side, o bypass pulley, I also removed my smog pump along time ago though.

FYI those tensioner brackets for the steel setup are hard to come by apparently.

Good to know the pulley bypass deal works though, i was afraid it'd not bolt up right.

Reaction score
Are these compressors known for seizing up like this? Is there an average mileage range where it does this? I'm running the original compressor, so I'm a bit concerned, but the truck only has 130K on it, and the A/C compressor likely has far less "mileage" on it, since I just got the A/C charged a few weeks back.

I think they just go when they go to be honest, but believe me you'll know when it's about to happen! I knew mine was going out for awhile, I just kind of pushed it a little too far.

Reaction score
The compressor on my Mustang seized up and I tore it out and put a pulley there instead, worked like a charm. Now I'm looking at pulling the extra pulley out along with the smog pump and getting a shorter belt.

I don't know the 350 as well as I know my Mustang's 302, but if there is a way to rip off the compressor and install a shorter belt I would recommend going that route rather than a useless pulley...

The way mine was set up a shorter belt won't work unless I replaced the full accessory rack. There wasn't enough clearance around the fan up to the tensioner which made the belt scrub against itself. It worked long enough to get it back home though, but after a 30 minute drive home the belt was basically shredded and melted together.

Reaction score
the thing is supposed to be with them 88-89's is they have the big steel horseshoe bracket instead of the alum ones.

I was too afraid of taking the chance on it not working so when I deleted my ac I went another route. I bought a non a/c truck tensioner, and bracket which mounts different from the ac one, and uses a 4 rib pulley instead of 6. On these ealry years I guess non ac used 4 groove/rib and ac had 6. Well I ended up with a pulley from a mustang i think that was 6 rib and fit the tensioner and used a 6 rib belt, and IMo it's much cleaner, no huge bracket on that side, o bypass pulley, I also removed my smog pump along time ago though.

FYI those tensioner brackets for the steel setup are hard to come by apparently.

Good to know the pulley bypass deal works though, i was afraid it'd not bolt up right.

Thank you! Finally an answer. I've searched everywhere for the reason but found nothing. I may not have installed it correctly, to be honest. ha It was a rush job in the dark with a dying flash light, so it may end up not working out for long. Fingers crossed it lasts long enough to where I can afford to get a new compressor though!