'88 Volt&fuel level wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hello again guys, I am trying to wire the fuel level and volt meter directly using my universal wiring harness. I figured out the wiring for the lights and ground; but need some assistance trying to figure out the gauges.

From the wiring diagram, the fuel level gauge seems to be associated with a pink wire. Can I assume the pink wire is tank level reading from the fuel sender? If we go further back to the fuel pump it looks like wire #450 (black and white) is the power for the fuel pump? Wire 120 seems to be the ground wire for the sender.
The thing is what is power for the fuel level gauge? it looks like the gauges might be powered by wire #39 (pink/black). When I apply power to these gauges only the left side gauges seem to operate (temp&oil pressure I won't be using those). Is there another power source for this gauge? if I apply power directly to the pink wire the fuel level does move.

For the volt meter, I don't get any action. I thought perhaps the alternator wire (# 25) would make it move but no luck..

Worse comes to worse I can use aftermarket gauges. The voltmeter is a simple hookup.If I know the "fuel level signal wire" from the sender is a pink colour. I can run a 0-90 ohms (we use 0-90 right?) gauge and power it independently.

Thanks again guys, I know this is pretty specific info but hopefully is can help someone one day..

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the wiring diagram, the fuel level gauge seems to be associated with a pink wire. Can I assume the pink wire is tank level reading from the fuel sender? If we go further back to the fuel pump it looks like wire #450 (black and white) is the power for the fuel pump? Wire 120 seems to be the ground wire for the sender.
What I see is wire $30 (pink) goes from the gauge to the sender. Wire #120 (Tan/White) goes to the pump. Wire 450 (Black/White) is ground for both. HTH

These diagrams are from this link (88 Electrical manual)
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thanks! I went and took some pictures..From the actual sender "barrel connectors" there are 3 colours.. Black white/purple/tan.. a little further "up" the line there is a pink wire. I wonder if the pink turns into purple?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone spliced a "new" connector in from a different application?