88-98 2wd Spindle Lift FAQ Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Been getting alot of PM on about the Spindle Lift on here and other forums, figured i would make a thread with basic info about the lift.
a number of us on here have done it, including Hunter (oohunter04oo), Myself and i believe MOBS?

Here is a thread showing some fine examples of lifted 2wd.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?12631-Post-your-lifted-2wd-s!

Where to get it:

Rough Country is the most popular place to get the lift, any dealer will be able to get them or you can order them off their site.

http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_2wd_88-98_4.html (Includes everything you need and new shocks)

Canuck Motorsports also have a 4" lift, this is what my truck has, and i like it, they are Canadian so shipping was cheap for me, Warning: Their lifts come with no instructions!

http://www.canuckmotorsports.com/cat_chevygmc_lift-lg.html

There is a couple other places, but i have no experience with them

What do I do in the rear?

After installing the 4" spindle, you will be about 2-3" higher in the front, so i 2" block is the best and cheapest way to get your truck level again.

RC says you can only use 31x10.5R15?

Yes, Rough Country states only 31x10.5R15 will fit without trimming, this isnt true, 32x11.5r15's will fit without any trimming and 33x12.5R15'S with trimming

Do i NEED shocks?

No, factory ones work fine, but i suggest getting some

Will my wheels be pushed out?

Yes, the front wheels will be pushed out about 1.5", you can get 1.5" spacers to make the rear match.

How hard is it to install?

It took me about half a day to do my lift, with basic hand tools, its very simple to swap the factory spindles to lift ones, basic commonsense

Will i need an alignment?

Yes, the spindles will mess with your toe, i adjusted my tierods and drove it to the alignment shop

Will my stock wheel fit?

In most cases, Yes, but in my case i had a set of steelies on a pre-88 before my lift, these did not work at all, as far as i know all 88-98 wheels work and i know 73-87 rallys work.

Please feel free to post any more questions and pictures of your 4" lift trucks.

Before Lift (2" lowering shackle), 31x10.5R15's on 15x8 appliance steel spokes
You must be registered for see images

After Lift, Same wheels/Tires

After Lift, 32x11.5R15's on 15x8 Rallys
You must be registered for see images attach

Stock Spindle, beside the CM lift spindle

Good thread!

I will add that 285/70r17s fit on factory nnbs 17's with .25in spacers (rims will barely touch the spindle up front) Also you need to convert to 6lug with Light Duty 2500 rotors and a 4x4 rearend. (4x4 rearends are 3in wider so your front track width will not be wider than the rear) my tires rub the valance and the plastic piece behind the bumper because the right side of my bumper isn't adjusted properly!

Rough country spindles

Converting from 5-Lug to 6-lug for the ultimate 4x4 look:

converting to 6lug is not required, I myself am still 5lug, Hunter has done the swap, it is a very good idea, when you goto 6lug the wheel choices are endless all the way from 15-20" OEM Wheels

what you need is.

6-lug rear diff
6lug 2500LD 2wd Rotors (Oreilly Part number #56579RGS) (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_C0062_1033344_2314&pt=C0062&ppt=C0009)

The rotors will bolt right onto the spindles, just like the normal 5-lug ones would, no big deal there.

the rear would need to be switch either a 4x4 6-lug diff, or a 2500LD 2wd 6lug diff, if you have the lift spindles, i would opt for the 4x4 diff, they were available in 10-bolt and 140bolt. The reason i wouldn't use the 2500LD diff is it is the same width as the 1500 2wd diff.

its as easy as swapping rotors and rear ends! although backing plates are the same on 2wd and 4wd rear ends. so if your brake shoes are good you can leave your backing plates attached to the truck and never bust the brake lines! so if you just redrilled your axle shafts for 6 lug nuts you can just go buy new 4wd drums instead of redrilling them!
Rockauto.com

WAGNER Part # BD125592
RAYBESTOS Part # 56579R

all rotors for 7200lb grose vehicle weight trucks!

WARNING: Spacers may be required with some OEM wheels.

Last edited:

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Good thread!

I will add that 285/70r17s fit on factory nnbs 17's with .25in spacers (rims will barely touch the spindle up front) Also you need to convert to 6lug with Light Duty 2500 rotors and a 4x4 rearend. (4x4 rearends are 3in wider so your front track width will not be wider than the rear) my tires rub the valance and the plastic piece behind the bumper because the right side of my bumper isn't adjusted properly!

Rough country spindles

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Hunter, do you have the parts number for the 2500LD Rotors, ill add them and your above post to mine.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Awesome, anything you want to add to the 6lug swap section?

not really, its as easy as swapping rotors and rear ends! although backing plates are the same on 2wd and 4wd rear ends. so if your brake shoes are good you can leave your backing plates attached to the truck and never bust the brake lines! so if you just redrilled your axle shafts for 6 lug nuts you can just go buy new 4wd drums instead of redrilling them!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
not really, its as easy as swapping rotors and rear ends! although backing plates are the same on 2wd and 4wd rear ends. so if your brake shoes are good you can leave your backing plates attached to the truck and never bust the brake lines! so if you just redrilled your axle shafts for 6 lug nuts you can just go buy new 4wd drums instead of redrilling them!
Now that i never knew! ill add that