88-94 Digital climate controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500SS

^ Money pit
Reaction score
I replaced the factory A/C control unit in my truck (1988) with one I found in a junkyard out of a 1992. Mine is like the one pictured that has a black face, and no "max" button on it. The one out of the 92 has a "max" button on it and it is a new unit, built in 2004. It doesn't work in my truck however, it just flashes all the arrows over the entire length of the temp bar. It also won't control the fans. Is this the obvious reason, because the internals are different? It worked all through winter just fine. Also, is there any way to change out the green lens/bulbs to a different color? I'm lookin at getting some digital gauges and I think it'd look better if it all matched.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure your problem comes from using the wrong unit. The '94 uit also has 4 fan speeds instead of 3. I believe there are at least 3 different units used through the years. Yours looks different than the one in my '91 which is different than the one in my '94.

You can change the display color, but it requires changing the plastic over the display to a different color.

1500SS

^ Money pit
Reaction score
Ah, that kinda sucks cause the color on the buttons on my 88 unit are cracking... Oh well. I'll probably repaint em so the buttons are all black, I wiped the marks off of my headlight switches and for some reason I like it more. Also how much do you think a fair price would be for my other unit? I'm gonna put it on ebay, it was built 30 september 2004, and the only wear is the tops of the fan buttons from rubbing on the face. It functions perfectly fine (in the right truck) and looks brand new.

Last edited:

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I bought one for my 94 in the junkyard for $30. Since yours is way newer, I'd start at least double that.