8.25 ifs rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I wish my pig had the 9.25 since I have the 35s. But the 8.25 is okay if you treat it right but if it ever go's I will sas it. Can you run a locker with out turning it into a grenade? I know the 8.25 and 9.25 have a bad wrap of going bang but it seams most of the time the cv will go before the case seams like the locker would put a lot of stress on the whole assembly
I'm hoping that 3/4t 9.25 diff is strong enough to withstand the added pull.I know for sure that the G80s in 3/4t trucks & burbs are a lot stronger than the 1/2t pieces.I figure if I blow it up I'll go my fav Pick-A-Part and get another one.

red1

Reaction score
I'm hoping that 3/4t 9.25 diff is strong enough to withstand the added pull.I know for sure that the G80s in 3/4t trucks & burbs are a lot stronger than the 1/2t pieces.I figure if I blow it up I'll go my fav Pick-A-Part and get another one.
All you can do is try right. When you do the swap keep us posted on how it works with the locker. The half ton stuff works good for me on the street and farm for hunting and plus I don't tow much so it last a long time for me even with 35s but that's as big of a tire the half ton units will handle safely IMO

red1

Reaction score
here are some of the part numbers for some of the small parts.
Yukon side bearing adjuster lock tab #yspsa-009 you need 2 of them for rebuild
Yukon stub axle retaining clip #yspsr-013 you need 2 of them for rebuild
you need one sch-78 bearing for the small stub shaft
you need three b-2012 bearings
My ring and pinion is summit racing brand 4.56 with a usa gear master bearing kit.
Just because it is a master bearing kit don't mean it has every thing you need be prepared to find the small parts on your own but these part numbers will get most of what you need and as always you can call Yukon and they will help you out. Hope this will help someone out one day..
will post more pics of the rebuild soon

red1

Reaction score
Cool,I'm sure those part #s will someone,some day.So,the front diff is working like it should?
well still in the rebuild phase. lucky I had a donor axel so I can still use my truck as my DD. I set the backlash tonight will check my pattern tomorrow night and then get every thing buttoned up this week and hopefully I can swap it out this weekend. but I have made up my mind that if a person has some mechanical skill they should not be afraid of the gm 8.25 ifs differential in many ways its more simple than building a gm ten bolt. its not as bad as it looks if you take your time and have the right tools.

red1

Reaction score
Checking backlash best way I found to hold it still to get a good reading
You must be registered for see images attach

red1

Reaction score
well I got 8.5 thou on my backlash, range was 6 to 10 thou
had to change pinion shims 3 times but came out with a real nice pattern
will tear down tomorrow and put crush sleeve and pinion bearing in(used setup bearing)
bend the lock tabs in place and call it good.