700R4 spontaneous problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maldred

Reaction score
I went down to Texas earlier this month for about a week. Winter was starting up so we drove my '91 Chevy to the airport in Bismark, and it drove like normal the whole way down. Pretty much from the moment I turned the key when we got back to North Dakota, the transmission was slipping. It was slipping in every gear and felt like it failed to shift as well(shifts, slips out of gear, and shifts back in). Pretty much every gear started working the way it should when it got warmed up, except overdrive. When the tac hit about 4500(it's an aftermarket tac that I don't think ever got calibrated) it was hit and miss as to whether or not it would drive as it should or just start slipping. Does anyone have an idea as to why this would start seemingly overnight?

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checking to see if you figured out your transmission issue? I am surprised (sort of) that no one provided any feedback? I don't know much about transmissions - that's why I posted a question here - but I didn't get any replies either.

TNC1500

Reaction score
Check the fluid level and condition first. If it's low then you need to figure out where it's going.

If the fluid is fine and your truck has a 700R4 then also check the TV cable adjustment and the adjuster itself for cracked or broken plastic. Aside from that, if it's been a long time since the trans has had service that may be the next step. If the filter starts to get plugged up or something in the valve body is hanging up it may not get adequate flow until the fluid heats up enough to overcome it. A friend's truck started doing this on especially cold days in the winter, and it had to run for 10-15 minutes before the trans would engage at all.