7.4 alternator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking to do a bigger alternator on my 7.4. I read through the sticky, and with all the pictures gone was just wanting some help.

alternator part number?
Pigtail?
Belt?

part numbers and is there anything I’m missing I’ll need?

Thanks

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WHat alt do you plan to use AD244?

On my 94 4.3l I ran https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CBXXS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went with an overdrive pulley (which is smaller of course) and was able to run the stock size belt. YMMV, as it was a little tight. As low as these motors rev... an overdrive pulley is more like running them at stock on an ls based truck. Heres the pulley I got
Powermaster 115 Overdrive Pulley

The alternator i am running
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y86DN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not the most expensive alt... but so far flawless.

I've got like 30k miles on this setup atm

Last edited:

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WHat alt do you plan to use AD244?

On my 94 4.3l I ran https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CBXXS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went with an overdrive pulley (which is smaller of course) and was able to run the stock size belt. YMMV, as it was a little tight. As low as these motors rev... an overdrive pulley is more like running them at stock on an ls based truck. Heres the pulley I got
Powermaster 115 Overdrive Pulley

The alternator i am running
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y86DN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not the most expensive alt... but so far flawless.

I've got like 30k miles on this setup atm

thanks for the links man!!
So your alternator is 130amo,correct? Is that my limits or is there a higher amperage one?
How did you wire the new pigtail/resistor?

I’m adding a dual battery, and have a pretty crazy stereo in this so I was thinking a 200 ish amp alternator if possible

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the links man!!
So your alternator is 130amo,correct? Is that my limits or is there a higher amperage one?
How did you wire the new pigtail/resistor?

I’m adding a dual battery, and have a pretty crazy stereo in this so I was thinking a 200 ish amp alternator if possible
There are factory ad244's with "160a," these are out of NBS trucks.

There are aftermarket options with greater output, I cannot comment on those other than they should install the same.

I have a stock stereo in a rcsb work truck with manual doors and windows so what I have is already overkill lol.

The huge upgrade going with the more modern alternators is that they make a TON more power off idle and run cooler. IMHO an ad244 is superior to most "Upgraded/high amp" cs130/144s

Thanks to a quick google:
"the CS130D on my 6.5L TD puts out 31A at idle and tests on the carquest reman alternators confirm this.

The AD244 however puts out a wholloping 85-89A at idle on the tester, larger casing, larger bearings (atleast thats what ive read) and better heat dissipation

now going from the CS144 to the AD244 wouldnt be much of an idle gain but it would seem to keep a flatter power curve. but going from the CS130 to the AD244 nets you 50A more available at idle, thats a 160% increase or a little more than double."

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IIRC.......there is a small case and large case CS144. The CS144 was usually standard on the Suburban/Tahoes with the rear blower. The changeover to the large case I THINK happened during the TBI years. The large case supposedly has larger bearings. The large case CS144 isn't a AD244, but it does run cooler and makes more amps at idle than the lessor amp alternators. I'm' pretty sure I've seen kits on ebay that can bump the amps up to 170 plus with the large case CS144.

I have two large case CS144's sitting on the shelf plus a bracket for them that came off of Suburban LT's. They both check out good but are pretty grotty. One of these days I'm gonna clean one up and install it on my 96 or 97 and see how it does.....