7.3 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody

Reaction score
I've been looking for a 12v for a swap into my 95, however locally a 2000 7.3 just became available for $1000, far cheaper than I can find a cummins for. Has this swap been done before? Will it fit?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Is it possible?

Yup.

I wouldn't do it though.

Custom everything.

The 7.3 powerstroke is a really good engine, but people will yank even them for a 12v to make a "fummins".

By the time your are done, it will cost far more than a 12V swap ever would.

Unless you are very good with fabrication and electronics.

Is the engine still in the truck?

Would probably be a far better idea to buy the whole truck and fix whatever is wrong with it. especially if it just needs a transmission or rear end tye of thing. Even fixing body damage (as long as the basic cab is straight) would put you better off. frames are a different story; if it's just tweaked it can be pulled. If it's crumpled, best to walk away.

Would likely be cheaper and you'll end up with a better truck.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't settle if you want a Cummins. I would rather put the time and money into a Duramax swap myself and have considered doing my K2500 in the future if I could find both a whole GMT400 diesel and Duramax truck to use for the different parts I would need from each. If I did that, I'd be really tempted to do a manual transmission swap as well. :popcorn:

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
7.3 has a remote mount computer unless installed in a bus... Not worth it IMO and I'm good with electronics

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cummins would be the easiest bet, but there's always dt360s and dt466s. Not sure what your wanting power wise but the dt466 can make huge numbers. If your not wanting huge numbers there's always the 7.3 Idi. With a good turbo, cam, injection pump, and injectors they can make decent numbers without breaking the bank.