6 Hole Multec Injectors? 7.4L Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm no expert mechanic, but an OE temperature thermostat is ALWAYS the best choice. The entire cooling system and engine management system is designed around that temperature, and anything higher or lower is just plain a bad idea idea.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a decent stand alone scanner but it does not produce trans temp so i'll look into the Blue Tooth style before our road trips next summer. Definitely going to swap out the thermostat permanently and not go back. I'd like to get the black bear tune done, but the only reason I hesitate is that I dont want to do the tune and then end up blowing the engine and if I do it will be rebuilt with a few extra upgrades which means my tune would be no good. Not a massive deal but something to consider.

The body is mostly clean. There is some rust around the bed, mostly in the frame and suspension mounts. There's a bit of rust down in the rear lower corners of the cab which i hear is very common. I'll hopefully be addressing that before too long. Besides that, the dually fenders are all spider cracked from picking up rocks. No other major body damage. Truck was never in an accident (would't have been allowed to import it into the us otherwise).

It has high oil pressure when its cold. Again my gauges are in Metric so im guessing its between 65-75 PSI cold and will drop down to 40 at an idle when warm. If you give it throttle when its warm it jumps up to between 50 and 60. I'm pretty sure the pressure regulator in my oil pump is shot and thats why I get pressure changes.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats normal for the oil pressure to fluctuate like that, 40 psi warm is good. I don't think you're in any real danger of the engine going bad soon, so I would go ahead and get a tune. It would be worth it. A compression check would be another indicator of the health of the engine.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes a compression test and fuel pressure test are on my list. Not as worried about the fuel pressure test because everything there is new but It wont hurt to have that info handy. It does have front and rear main seal leaks though so I'll see how long I can deal with those before I go crazy and decide to mess with all that.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I meant to snap a picture of the old Multecs to show you guys. I wanted to run the part number again to see if they were indeed the stock 19lb or if they were some kind of upgrade.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well depending on how much free time you have, pulling the motor and just doing new rings, bearings, a cam, and freshening up the heads isn't terribly expensive. Then you could replace the seals of course. lol

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh yeah that would be fantastic but I could never just do the bare minimum. I'd get to a section and think "well maybe I should just bore it out, its apart right now anyway" lo and behold I turned a 500 dollar job into a $5000 dollar job. Plus, with 175K I'm guessing there's going to be some decent wear on the cylinder walls.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well you could bore it .030 and throw in a set of piston without getting too crazy. It'd only get real expensive if you started throwing heads at it or made it a stroker, but i get what you mean haha

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I took some pictures of my injectors last night. My phone didn't do a great job of it but hopefully you guys can see they are 6 hole. Then I realized after I got to work that I didn't get the whole part number in the picture either...:Stupid Me: From what I can guess is that they are 17109596 parts which after a google search does come up as a multec injector... But finding specific reliable info on them is proving dificult.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach