6.5TD Engine block heater shorting out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nylanderz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm in need of some help with the engine block heater on my 6.5TD.
When plugging in the heater and letting it run a couple of hours it melts the plastic around the plug at the wall of my house, which means it must be something crappy with my block heater/harness.

Anyone got any ideas where and how i should be getting started? I've been looking around the engine and i seem to have my heater under the turbo & manifold (passenger side).

Anyone got any specifications on the heater, like amount of watts & what the resistance should be? (Ohm)
Also wondering how to access it, can you go in via the front inner fender or do i have to demount the turbo,manifold & airfilter housing?

Help very much appreciated!

/nylanderz

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get yourself a meter and check resistance. If you get a ridiculous number you block heater is bad. I think under 35 ohms is good. I just did mine last winter. Pull the inner fender and it's a easy job.

Nylanderz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get yourself a meter and check resistance. If you get a ridiculous number you block heater is bad. I think under 35 ohms is good. I just did mine last winter. Pull the inner fender and it's a easy job.

Alrighty then, i'll try checking the resistance tomorrow. Thanks!