6.5L Turbo diesel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Boldly go where the rest of us cringe! Good luck with your project. Post up your progress.

Ironically i am seriously considering swapping out the 350 gasser out of my K3500 once i get it back in favor of an older 6.2 "Red Block" but that will happen after SAS since i need the clearance that SAS will provide.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I'm with Skylark! and by mechanical transmission if you mean a manual transmission, then that will make things easier, but still, best of luck to you!!

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To swap the motor from a 94 to a 93 (motor only) it's not as bad as everybody is saying. Hell I did a 93 to a 94 when I was a first year apprentice and it went without a hitch.

Just swap all of the injection bits and engine sensors, it'll work fine. If you were going the other way, 93 to 94 and using the electronically controlled injector pump you'd need to make sure you had a reluctor ring on the front of the crankshaft for the crank position sensor.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
To swap the motor from a 94 to a 93 (motor only) it's not as bad as everybody is saying. Hell I did a 93 to a 94 when I was a first year apprentice and it went without a hitch.

Just swap all of the injection bits and engine sensors, it'll work fine. If you were going the other way, 93 to 94 and using the electronically controlled injector pump you'd need to make sure you had a reluctor ring on the front of the crankshaft for the crank position sensor.

Putting a 94 motor in a 93 truck will be a little tricky, even if he has a manual transmission. If it's a automatic the 94 harness will not plug into a 93 4L80E.

Go try it, it is a different plug, with a different internal wiring set up.

Last edited:

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't realize he was swapping the tranny too, must have missed that part. The tranny swap does make it alot harder, motor swap alone though, isn't too bad.

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I suspect that Great White and i are about the only ones on here who actually like the 6.5s....but then again GW did have his love/hate relationship with his lol....And then again mine pissed me off to the point i decided to just park it for awhile...about 2 years ago...WHOOPS...

I like my 6.2/6.5!

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Didn't realize he was swapping the tranny too, must have missed that part. The tranny swap does make it alot harder, motor swap alone though, isn't too bad.

Yeah if the transmission was a manual he would have to swap the entire wiring harness out of the truck, becuase the PCM runs everything, from the glow plugs, to the throttle sensor on the pedal, to the engine, etc. At this point, given the fact he's working with a 93 4L80E, he'll have to find a 94+ transmission and on top of all of that would have to re-wire the entire truck. So in this case the best route would be to rebuild the 93 6.5, or find a old 6.2, any pre-93 cable driven diesel, not a 94+ drive by wire.

IMO, i think anytime you swap a complete wiring harness, you are setting yourself up for a electrical disaster down the road if you had issues somewhere.

It sucks because you wouldn't think the 93 and 94 would be that different... i'd just hate to see him rip the entire truck apart and make a giant mess with two perfectly good vehicles haha.

MinnesotaChevy

Gasser or Diesel?
Reaction score
Ok obviously this forum has gone completely chaotic and i need to clear a few things up.

I will be putting a 1994 K2500 3/4 TON 6.5L TURBO DIESEL into a 1993 K3500 CREW CAB 6.5L TURBO DIESEL
*NOTE I WILL NOT BE SWAPPING THE TRANNY* Both are Automatics and the one in the 1993 K3500 was rebuilt with less than 500 miles on it
WHEN I SAID MECHANICAL I MEANT MECHANICAL SOUND AS IN WORKING CONDITION

Great White PM'ed me and gave me some pointers so I will be doing the swap in the two months or so I will try my best to keep the thread updated

Last edited:

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
And what we were trying to explain is that you will need to do some rewiring to make the '94 transmission work because they completely changed the wiring in '94

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
And what we were trying to explain is that you will need to do some rewiring to make the '94 transmission work because they completely changed the wiring in '94

If you don't believe it.. go unplug wiring on the two transmissions (both on the drivers side) And you will notice that the 93 and 94 have different plugs on the side of the transmission.... The wiring harness on your 1994 (that you will be using for the swap) will not plug into your (freshly rebuilt) transmission that's in the 1993.

We're just trying to let you know this before you put tons of hours into pulling everything and rewiring a entire truck, and then end up with a wiring harness that isn't compatible your 1993 transmission & truck.

Last edited: