6.5 swap, tach help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So im going to try and get my tach workin on my 6.5 td, 5 spd swap, truck was 350/auto original. It has the diesel cluster ( So in theory, it should work from the signal on the alt, i just want to validate my findings ) from the truck the diesel motor came out of so the mileage matches, and all the gauges are ( or should be ) accurate. As far as im understanding these wiring diagrams i found on this forum, i should be hooking up white ( near where the gas dist would be ) to the A/P terminal on my alternator ( as diesel's generally get signal from the alternator ). Will this work? Truck is a 1996, motor being a 95, along with the cluster as far as i know.

Thanks, Kyle.

Last edited:

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see no reason that shouldn't work, assuming you have the right color wire. Thats factory original setup right?

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe so, but the truck is no way factory at all. i know it has a 5.7 vortec harness, which as everyone knows is fun to work with.