5.7 Vortec starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
98 C 1500 2WD. Truck ran perfectly till this morning. Went to start it, and it fires, but dies as soon as you release the key.

Has 90,000 miles, new fuel filter, and the fuel gauge says 3/4 full. No CEL, and all gauges behave properly when you turn the key.

I'm not good with computer cars, so before I have it towed to the shop, any ideas out there, please...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is just a wild guess on my part as neither of my trucks are so equipped... But that sure sounds like the symptoms of a Passlock issue. My '04 Impala recently did something similar, with the exception of illuminating the "Security" light as well. I'm not sure if these trucks even have such a light, though.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I got restless wondering about the issue, and decided to go back to basics. So, I went out, lifted the hood, and disconnected the positive battery lead (I know, you're supposed to do the other one first). Cleaned the double cable and the battery terminal (they were pretty damn clean anyway. I noticed that the trouble light under the hood worked before i did anything, so I did not hold out much hope.

Got back in the cab, turned the key, and lo and behold! it started and ran. I can only guess that I somehow reset the computer, and this fixed whatever was wrong. Maybe that fixed a passlock issue, not sure?

Got my fingers crossed now.

Still open for other suggestions on this thread, as something tells me it couldn't have been that simple.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a Passlock issue. If it comes back, I'd almost guarantee it. My Impala would do the same thing with a battery disconnect.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been fooling with cars and trucks for about 55 years now, and the more they load these vehicles up with all this safety, security and emissions stuff, the more I feel lost and somewhat helpless. I look under the hood of a 65 Impala, wow! so simple, so easy to fix, so easy to do engine and trans swaps, and the list goes on.

Is there a permanent fix for the Passlock issue, as it does seem like that's what I've run into.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree 100%. I hate all the anti-theft stuff with a passion. Most theives can get around it no problem if they want the vehicle badly enough, all it really accomplishes is stranding the owner when it inevitably breaks or goes out of sync.

NewRockies Inc makes a permanent Passlock/Passkey bypass system that's very well reputed, I looked into it after my recent Impala issues. Pricey at $280, but getting the problem fixed by my independent mechanic took a new ignition cylinder/sensor and about $360 total. Who knows how long it'll go this time... If it does fail again I guarantee you I'll be trying the NewRockies unit. Here's a link to their site.

http://newrockies.com/