5.7 tbi swap to another tbi swap problems...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
YES, I completely forgot about the egr valve....that usually gets deleted on my vehicles asap, so I don't ever think to check it. Get a torque wrench and check your intake-to-head bolts, if I remember correctly, they should be 30ft-lb.

superninja427

Reaction score
Just did the paper clip check and my SES light was doing the morse code basically. And just check the egr valve, its good..Could it be my map sensor? My map sensor and knock sensor are the only 2 sensors that I didn't swap over from my 91 350 to my 92 350

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
yeah, go ahead and swap both of them over. Is your knock sensor the type made into the "freeze plug" opening? If so, be careful that you don't scuff or cut the block, it has to seal perfectly because that's a high pressure coolant channel.

superninja427

Reaction score
yea It did a code 12? I don't know much about these codes so if I sound stupid don't judge. I know motors not electrical or computer codes..I'm learning but slowly

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
code 12 is just saying the communication between the obd1 connector and computer are working

superninja427

Reaction score
No my knock sensor screws into towards the bottom of the block. And alright. I'll swap em over and check it out.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, if it did right with the previous sensors, then it should be returned to them atleast for diagnostics sake. Did you ever double-check your timing to make sure you're actually AT 0 degrees with #1 at TDC? I know you were questioning yourself earlier, which made me wonder about that, because even 1 tooth off can be hell.

superninja427

Reaction score
Nope.haven't rechecked it yet. I did test the two remaining sensors though..didn't change anything. I also set the timing at 0 then plugged in that tan wire. Runs better but it idle at 2000rpm. Considering its raining like hell right now ill have to check for a leak from the intake or something tomorrow..I'm about ready to just throw a carb on it..but I've got a pretty heavy foot though so I'm trying to make this tbi work lol if it wasn't at TDC would it idle that high and still run decently smooth even though I'm runnin open header basically for the moment?