5.3 into 99k2500 4l80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys I've done some researched and wanted to toss some ideas around and ask some questions. I have a 99 burb 2500 4x4 that the vortec 350 just retired in. I'm a "lsx" guy and been wanting to swap in a 5.3 or 6.0 since I bought it about two months ago. I'm looking at a lot of 5.3s at the moment and I'm going to get the whole, harness with pcm, fuse box, accessory drive etc. My plan, seems easiest to me since electrical isn't my strong suit, was to install the engine stand alone from the truck, main battery power to fuse panel and key on to A9 in the C1 connector. Idk if that will get the obd port operational or not so that's question number one. I'll need that port for tuning. My plan is to then adapt my coolant temp and oil pressure, alt etc sensors to the engine so my gauges work. How do I get the tach working? Also I seen a thread that is pinned above saying you can add the above mentioned items into the ls pcm connector and the dash is then operational. Is it that simple? Also I will need tps signal to run the transmission. How are guys doing that with the 4l80? Does the ls tps work on the same system as the l31 sensor? As in does it send the same range or kind of signal out? Could I Piggy back the l31 wires into the Ls harness and use the 5.3 tps signal to operate my transmission? Or is there a easier way to do this and I'm just making it hard. I also seen guys that did the 411 swap, put the ls engine in and added the injector wires and adapted the sensors. That could be a option, worries me that I'll mix it all up and end up fighting with it for a week trying to figure out what I screwed up. I get overwhelmed with electrical at times so I wanna do whatever is gonna make this simple. I like the sound of the truck and engine being stand alone from each other, seems simple to do in theory but I also like the idea of installing the 411 into my stock harness and making it work with the engine. Although that intimidates me slightly and I would still need a way to control my transmission at that point. As far as I know the black box controls engine and trans, correct? Does the 411 as well and I would just need a 4l80 tune put on it instead of the 4l60 tune file? Wouldn't be a big deal to have done while the security and other things were changed. Thanks in advance for any help I get and look forward to attacking this project!

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're on Facebook, look up LS swapped 88-98 obs trucks/suvs. Joel Goodman in that group makes wiring harnesses and can provide a good bit of advice.

Also check out LT1swap.com for electrical diagrams and help on making your harness. I believe the different pinouts are posted there but I'm not 100% on that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

lawjo1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definetely check out Joel Goodman in that LS swapped truck group. He did a plug and play wiring setup for my 98 Suburban and the quality is spot on. Everything works like it should and looks very factory....