5.3 clean dirty oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jksconny

Reaction score
I had just acquired a 2000 5.3 that was rebuilt 60k ago. I also have been told the truck has been run the last two summers without an oil change and uses a little bit of oil. The engine does run good. The question I have is what would be the best way to get all of the old oil out and ensure a cleaner block?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even if I didn't drive that many miles I still do an oil change based on time in service. Do regular oil change with quality filter.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Run 1 quart of atf every oil change in the engine and the rest one weight heavier oil. This Toyota was a disaster 20k ago when I replaced the valve cover gasket after my dad bought it. The intent behind these pictures wasn't to show how clean the engine is but if you look at the timing components you can see that there isn't a spot of sludge. We started at the 1st change and ran it on about a 50 mile run through mountains to get it hot and changed it. The 2nd was at 500 miles. The 3rd was 1000 miles. The 4th was 3000 miles. It has been on a 5000 valvoline synthetic and atf ever since. We use Wix or Napa Gold filters.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How many miles over that period of time and was it synthetic oil in there during that time? Likely be just fine as long as you do use a good quality filter, Like a WIX 51522XP, which is the longer more filter material than the stock WIX 51042XP. Mobil 1 5w-30 or 10w-30. If worried, do the change and cut the old filter open and inspect. Run 3k miles on the first oil change and then 5k miles after that.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many miles over that period of time and was it synthetic oil in there during that time? Likely be just fine as long as you do use a good quality filter, Like a WIX 51522XP, which is the longer more filter material than the stock WIX 51042XP. Mobil 1 5w-30 or 10w-30. If worried, do the change and cut the old filter open and inspect. Run 3k miles on the first oil change and then 5k miles after that.
At the 5k change is when we switched back to synthetic.

Jksconny

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feed back. I religiously change oil on or before milage and always use wix filters on my own vehicles. I was raised that oil is the lifeblood of an engine. So to sum things up change oil/ filter run a couple short oil/filter change intervals? Other than throwing a quart of atf in is there any other additives that I could use to help get a cleaner block such as (seafoam) seeing how my intervals will be very short at first. Or is just running cheap oil the best way until I’m satisfied before going back to mobile for regular changes?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best way I know of to get the all the old oil out is to run the engine for a good 20min. after it comes up to normal running temp. then immediately pull the drain plug and let it drain overnight.

If you can,fill the filter with oil before you spin it on so you won't have as long a dry start.