4x4 Won't Disengage from 4hi to 2hi while driving.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I did a transfer case fluid service on it, a few weeks ago.

I can push 2 hi, it will light up like usual, but it wont actually disengage from 4hi until I slow way down and start again.

Farmerdan91

Reaction score
did ya actually take the transfer case apart and really scrub er out? My 98 takes a few seconds to click out but i never go over 30 mph in 4wheel drive

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
When I did the tranny I looked at the transfercase, and the fluid that came out didnt look bad at all, no shavings anywhere.

illinoisboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought you were only able to switch from 2wd to 4 hi or 4hi to 2wd at a max of 25 mph or well that was the max recomended speed.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
2wd and 4wd use the same gear ratio, so you can switch on the fly, but I let off the throttle for good measure.

Auto 4wd on trucks equipped also shift on the fly, but I don't like it because it lurches you forward, and could cause you to lose control.

You dont have to worry about switching back and forth between 2 and 4.

EDIT: BUT if you are stationary but rear wheels are spinning (say you started on ice) DO NOT shift in to 4wd unless rear wheels are stopped, if done it on the hoist at work and it makes an awful sound.

Farmerdan91

Reaction score
you take the transfer case apart to get the metal shavings out, they more than likely wont just come out the drain holes

Reaction score
just a thought but have you checked the fluid in the front diff, if theres excessive metal in it, you mave have too much play, under normal conditions you should have to let off the throttle just a little so that the gear will disengage the right axle shaft