4x4 Actuator works, transfer case engages. but the wheels still dont turn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FL0WL0W

Reaction score
NEEED HELP!!! So my 4wd doesnt work and my actuator does. i have the motorized actuator and i have taken it out and verified that it is working and i have made sure that my 4x4 light comes on and everything electronically is working. but the front diff is still not actuating. i was able to get the actuator actuated with the transfer case disengaged to see if i could get the front driveshaft to spin with the wheels and it doesnt. i have also been able to turn the driveshaft by hand with no movement in the front wheels when the actuator is actuated and the transfer case is not. is my front differential toast? or is there something else i should check?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Use the socket trick to engage the front diff. Put a 3/4, 3/8 drive socket in the hole where your actuator goes. Screw the actuator in. It should keep it engaged all the time. The socket can be removed with an extension. If this does not engage it, i'd say you have a front diff issue.

FL0WL0W

Reaction score
thanks ill try it. have any idea how much one of these front diffs would cost at a junkyard?

98_k1500

Reaction score
Not a clue, depends on where you find it. Be sure to get the right gear ratio if you end up needing one.

FL0WL0W

Reaction score
yeah im thinking about changing my gear ratio in the back anyway so id have to change this too. im going to try and get the 9.25 inch ring gear this time. i just tried the socket trick and it didnt work so im absolutely sure its this diff. now just to replace it without my dad finding out lol. he always tells me im going to break it.

FL0WL0W

Reaction score
really i thought they pretty much bolted up in the same way? note that i have a k2500

98_k1500

Reaction score
In that case it won't work. Nothing about it fits. It does mount in the same manner, but the brackets are different, and your cv axles won't bolt to it. 9.25s only work in 8 lug trucks.