4wd actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gothicsera

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my '95 K2500 with the manual transfer case, someone has unplugged the 4wd actuator on the front axle.

I've no idea why - what does the actuator do? Is it used for both 4hi and 4lo?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The actuator engages and disengages the front differential. Four wheel drive will not work without a functional actuator; whether electric or mechanical.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Here's a good one...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

gothicsera

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine's already got the later style actuator on it. I'm not sure if someone made a half assed attempt at upgrading it in the past. Will have to dig into it this week

gothicsera

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorted this at the weekend.

Unscrewed the actuator and found someone had jammed a piece of 1" wood between it and the plunger in the axle. Also traced the wiring back and found the brown cable in the conversion harness had been connected straight back to the battery. So I think someone had unplugged it due to it draining the battery?

I sorted the wiring and connected it back to the brown wire on the transfer case connector. Removed the wood and checked the depth of the plunger in the axle, seemed like the spacer was already in there although I couldn't get it out.

Left the actuator out of the axle and shifted between 2hi and 4hi a few times and it worked perfectly OK. Screwed it back into the axle and tested and I now seem to have fully functional 4wd!