4l80e problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JavaMan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a used 96 Suburban 2500, with the 7.4L Vortec at 114k miles. According to the logs from the previous owner, the transmission fluid and filter was changed back in 2005 at 63k miles. I was worried about issues just changing fluid that's that old, so I did drain a gallon of ATF and refil it, waited about two months and 500 miles, then drained another gallon and filled fresh. I've got the new filter and fluid, just haven't had the time to change it yet.

I've noticed some 'slipping' when going up hills, first noticed this after the first drain and refill. Running 75 in 4th, it slows a little, so I push the accelerator a bit more, it shifts and hits the rev limiter, I back off and it shifts back to 4th, and I continue up the hill letting it slow a bit more, then I'm reaching the top of the hill, and no more problem.
I added a poor man's B&M electronic shift improver, aka a 10w wire wound resistor between the appropriate wires. Did this after the second drain an refill. With the switch on, it shifts firmer, which is great, I hate the mushy shifting. I speed up, 1-3 work great, it shifts to 4th, and a couple seconds later the RPM picks up, it acts like it's in neutral and slows down. If I let it slow down enough to drop back into 3rd, it shifts solid, but once I pick up speed again, it shifts into 4th for a couple seconds, then neutral again. I turned off the shift improver switch. It works fine again, 4th holds properly.

Any ideas on wht to do? Should I just do the fluid and filter change and see what happens? It was purchased "as is" because there was a fuel leak, so they knocked off $1000 from the $5500 purchase price; so no warranty. It only cost me $250 in parts to fix the fuel leak, so I'm still happy there.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it has slipped, it's on the way out.
I'd get ready for a rebuild.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
keep it in 3 climbing hills especially when towing, dont tow in D

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can tow in OD if you have enough power to keep it there.. worst thing you can do is let it shift back and forth from 4 to 3 back to 4th back to 3rd. Drives me insane.

Your not gonna hurt a 4L80E 4th gear.
I've towed some serious loads with a stock one behind a 600hp turbo LS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either that transmission was a lemon, or something terrible was done to it to be worn out by 114k. As RDF1 stated, the 4l80e is a damn strong transmission; I'm still running the stock one in my truck at 240k and it spent a lot of time towing.