4l80e pouring fluid from input seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavyjunk

Oh cool I can change this
Reaction score
A short while ago I had issues with 3rd and reverse. I had found the direct clutch was toasted, so I replaced the entire direct hub and put a hd2 kit in it while I had it apart. That was about two weeks ago. Everything was working great.

Friday we left on a 200 mile trip with our 9500lb camper. Made it there just fine, never lost a drop of fluid, nor did the fluid change colors or smells. So we leave this morning, and make it 195 miles back, and I can smell burning fluid. Look in the mirror, and all I can see is smoke!!

Pull over and find fluid is POURING out of the pump/input shaft area. And I mean it is pouring out!

The question: would a blown input seal flow that much fluid? Or did the pump come apart, or some other horrible thing?

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The front seal is in the pump, it could have blown out. When it does, it comes out super fast.

heavyjunk

Oh cool I can change this
Reaction score
Finally got the extra time and money to pull her apart. Ordered a complete rebuilt pump assy from a reputable ebay supplier for 100 bones. So we pull the trans out and find the front seal walked out.

Not sure why that happened but whatever. Installed the new pump anyway and we're rolling again!

Man I missed that truck! :D

Sent from my DROIDX

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
when putting in a front seal,,always use permatex , high tack sealer, it is liquid form and works great. keeps exactly what happened to you from happening.