4L80E behind 6.5 Turbo Diesel, not downshifting out of OD when going up a hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its got a turbomaster (a real one) and the spring is turned down to about 2.0 inches, it doesnt get to 12..it climbs to about 8-9-10...11...then pops off and falls to about 8.

PErsonally, I originally thought that the WG valve was sticking, it builds boost so slowly....

Its got a 4" Diamond eye, 3" downpipe, 2.5" crossover, Spectre filter, 125K original miles.

What could cause the trans to do what it does..and also cause me to lack low end power? I pulled the glovebox out, and the computer at least appears to be unmolested.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Its got a turbomaster (a real one) and the spring is turned down to about 2.0 inches, it doesnt get to 12..it climbs to about 8-9-10...11...then pops off and falls to about 8.

PErsonally, I originally thought that the WG valve was sticking, it builds boost so slowly....

Its got a 4" Diamond eye, 3" downpipe, 2.5" crossover, Spectre filter, 125K original miles.

What could cause the trans to do what it does..and also cause me to lack low end power? I pulled the glovebox out, and the computer at least appears to be unmolested.

Factory calibration sucks for pretty much anything besides daily driving or light towing (and I mean light) is probably what you're dealing with.

The factory calibration also is biased towards mpg.

Here's the lockup behavior on a stock cal:

You must be registered for see images attach

You also need 72% TPS in order to make it shift down from 4 to 3. That's 72% that the PCM sees, that's not necessarily how far the throttle pedal moves. The stock cal also tries to crowd as much of the engines power down in the low end as possible, at the sacrifice of the upper end. What you get is a truck that "feels" snappy because it's crowded 75% of it's power down in 25-30% of the throttle. But it gets pretty lame pretty fast as you get deeper into the throttle.

The stock vacuum system holds it down around 5-8 psi by a PWM signal to the wastegate solenoid. Essentially, it rapidly "flaps" the wastegate until just bleeding drive pressure off isn't enough and then it opens it.

I've got a Heath TM on mine right now, but I prefer the stock vacuum system. Programmed right, it gives you more control over the turbo behavior and will build as much boost as the engine is capable of if you tell it to.

With the vac system, I can add boost (or take it away) at any point of the curve I want. The TM is either open or closed.

The movement of the wastegate also helps to keep it from seizing up from rust and/or soot.

I'm running Bill's TM since my vacuum pump died and I am a bit short on cash to buy a new one. I had Bill's TM on the shelf so it's doing stand in duty until I can get a new Delphi unit.

That's just my preference though.

Since so few can adjust the calibration on these trucks, they tend to look for "old school" solutions. It's possible someone has been mucking around in your transmission with line pressure "improver" kits and other assorted whatnot. This messes up lots of things on an electronic truck since the PCM no longer is getting what it's calling for.

Of course, you truck could be behaving normally and I just can't tell from your description. It's kind of one of those things you have to see and feel to troubleshoot....

Last edited:

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So basically, i need a tune...?

That sucks, but it is what it is. Id expect that the TCC would unlock when the throttle was touched, like on a gasser...but this one holds until the kickdown, its got ot be hell on parts.

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have a vacuum pump on mine, dunno if it works, but the controller and stuff is all gone, personally Id prefer it to be there, im not a fan of the turbo master. Seems like it lets boost bleed off, vs holding it shut tight, then blowing off at X psi.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I still have a vacuum pump on mine, dunno if it works, but the controller and stuff is all gone, personally Id prefer it to be there, im not a fan of the turbo master. Seems like it lets boost bleed off, vs holding it shut tight, then blowing off at X psi.

That's not how a TM works.

It is held closed by spring pressure. When the drive pressure overcomes the spring, it "pops" and allows it to bleed off. Below Pop pressure, the wastegate is solidly closed.

It is not boost referenced in any way. Essentially, the TM makes the wastegate a poppet valve.

The OEM vacuum system actually bleeds pressure off. It opens and closes the wastegate quickly to manage the drive pressure in reference to the boost. Somewhat like the way a holset wastgate control works except that the Holset is olso either a closed or open valve. No moderation at all. Open....or closed.

If you have boost "bleeding off", you have other issues than the TM. Unless you're hearing a high pitched whistle sound (boost escaping), I'd say you're just not understanding what's happening when you see your boost gauge dropping with no throttle change.

Boost pressure has to go somewhere if everything else remains the same. The TM has nothing to do with it below pop threshold since the wastegate is solidly shut.

Boost with a TM on a 6.5 is fuel and timing dependent. While you're accelerating boost will build since the PCM calculates % load and torque, then adjusts the fueling to match. As the load comes down (IE: up to speed, road flattens out, etc) so does the fueling. When the fueling comes down, the boost comes down.

The TM is good for heavy towing as it ensures as much as possible boost is crammed into the engine. This means cooler EGT's up to the point where the TM forces the turbo into a more than 2:1 drive ration. Then things start getting hot again.

It's not so good for day to day driving as higher average drive pressures across the range (the stocker is always bleeding a bit off to lower drive pressures) means lower MPG's.

Some report a 2-3 mpg drop with a TM, some report the same MPG....

Last edited: