4L80E acting up when short tripping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, my truck is a 00 OBS CCSB K2500 with a 5.7L and a 4L80E. The transmission shifts great and performs very well if you are making long, constant running trips. We've taken it to my parents house (3hr trip) a couple times now and it never gives issues doing that.

However, on trips to town when we are making several stops without much driving between, it starts acting odd. It seems to go into some form of limp mode. In OD, it will not lock the TCC in 3rd like it does normally and if you let off the gas, the engine just drops to idle rather than holding back. You have to get over 62mph to get it into OD, and then it won't down shift unless you get down under about 40mph and the TCC is locked up the entire time. It will not unlock reguardless of how far you push the pedal down or load the truck if you are up to speed.

The last time it did this, we pulled over and let it sit for about 20min with the engine off. When we started off again, it acted fine the rest of the day.

It has thrown one code, and only once in the 5-6 times it has given trouble. It was a TPS below voltage code, but I don't remember the code number. On Torque, the transmission temperatures were not abnormally high, the TPS was responding properly, and shift times were the same as they usually were. So I'm kinda at a loss for what is going on.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Is the code an active fault or a history code?

PCM needs to know throttle position to schedule shifting properly.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was a history fault when I pulled it I believe. I didn't have torque connected when it popped up and waited till after we ate lunch. It has had the problem a couple times since then but not thrown a code. The TPS was apparently replaced before I bought the truck. I think I'm going to swap it out for an AC Delco or Delphi piece since all the other pieces that have been replaced on it so far seem to be store branded parts.