4l60E Trans Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Last week i turned the corner, hit the gas to accelerate after the corner, shifted perfectly fine no hesitation or issues. Let off the gas as it cruised down the road about 100 yards. Went to get back on the gas, truck high revs. Pulled over, no forward or reverse gears. No noises, leaks, or visible damage. Park holds the truck like it should. Pull both lines off the trans cooler and start the truck, should spray fluid out one line which it does NOT do. Also have a ticking noise that speeds up with engine rpm coming from the bell housing of the transmission. When i put the transmission in each gear, cable moves but there is no jolt that it went into gear.

From my lack of flow out the trans cooler lines I'm assuming the pump inside the transmission went south. That doesn't explain the ticking noise coming from the bell housing area. I'm starting to wonder if something inside the torque converter went south and isn't locking the flywheel to the torque converter.
OR
Am i looking at a transfer case issue instead?

I'm sort of at a loss of what to check out without starting to pull the transfer case and transmission out of the truck and have them taken to a local shop for diagnosis. Trans company is ignoring my calls now after my original call about it. It has 3760 miles on it with a 15,000 mile warranty. Shop is in Florida I'm in Illinois so i cant just drop by and ask for a explanation and resolution from them. So chances are I'm going to be fixing this on my dime.

jsmith14

Reaction score
Intake manifold gasket seems to go on every single van, anywhere between 60k and 150k. This van has a host of cooling/transmission issues. you can visit you repair mechanic or see some of the best mech on Illinois auto repair.

Last edited:

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
While not common on the 700R, it isn't impossible that you snapped the main shaft. The super crap T45 and 3650s do it all the time. It's weird because when they snap it doesn't appear that anything is wrong. Clutch feels good, shifter clicks in and out of the gears, no leaks or noise.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's common for the pumps to out on these.... Sounds like your on the right track.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
^^Absolutely. Just wanted to introduce another option if the 1st one isn't correct.