4L60E for $100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
http://up.craigslist.org/pts/2437652466.html

So my truck has 273,000 miles on the original transmission (4L60E). I was thinking about buying this one and working on it and getting it ready until mine goes. So here is my question? I will do some light offroading and pull a trailer every now and then. Is it worth it to get the 4L80E just from a reliability stand point. I would probably buy one and not touch it and just swap it in. Or would it be more worth my money to get this one and rebuild it and do a shift kit and put that in the truck.

Second question: What is the best shift kit/ rebuild kit to get for under $300. I was looking at this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-4L60E-HD2/ and then from the looks of it would need a filter and gasket yet. Would that be all that is needed with the TransGo kit?
Or would this be a better route to go: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-378951/

Thanks in advance and sorry I am new to transmissions

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
I think at this point it would come down to what would be cheaper. I know there are people here that are doing some off-roading and hauling with the 4l60E but a 4l80E would be better. I would try to find a good 4l80E and compare the price and go from there.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well from the looks of it, it would cost around $350 to buy, rebuild and put a shift kit with Corvette Servo in the 4L60E, and a 4L80E will cost around $500 rebuilt or with low miles.

What is so bad about the 4L60E that people shy away from it? Is it anything a rebuilt/ shift kit would fix? And it seems like here everyone says to go with the 4L80E, but over at FSC there are is a varied opinion between the two. I suppose a lot of it is based on your own opinion too. I haven't had any problems since I have had my truck yet with the transmission, but I have only had it for 5 months and at 273,000 I gotta plan for the future.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
From a cost and feasibility standpoint, you're better off sticking with a 4L60. I buy them all the time for $75-$150 in working an nonworking order. A few simple upgrades and it will be plenty reliable. Google "oregon performance transmission" and check their prices on that transgo kit. I would advise picking up a complete overhaul kit from them as well. Usually a builder will knock off a significant amount of the cost if you supply everything.

Quite honestly, the main reason 4L60s get a bad rap is people flat out abuse them and expect them to last forever. They have their weak points in original condition, but that can be largely corrected with a heavy duty sunshell and extra 3/4 friction. A 4L80 is no more reliable than a 4L60 when you average it out. If you beat on it, it will fail as easily as a 4L60 will. There's also the issue of gear ratios. In a stock vehicle, especially one that's heavy you can't beat the low 1st gear ratio of a 4L60. A 4L80 has better gear splits which lends itself to being better for towing, but the tall 1st gear is something of a tradeoff.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out monster transmission, they have an awesome rebuild and upgrade kit for the 4L60 for about $800, holds up to 500 horses....according to them.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Check out monster transmission, they have an awesome rebuild and upgrade kit for the 4L60 for about $800, holds up to 500 horses....according to them.

You must be registered for see images

Their reputation is slightly less than that of Anthony ****** at this point. I've only heard bad things about their products and business practices. No thanks.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What if I want to keep the rebuild under $500? Still worth it to get the 4L60E and rebuild/ shift kit it? Or just get the 4L80E. I don't wanna drop $800 into a 4L60E when I can spend $500 and get the same reliability outta a 4L80E. I suppose that is why people tend to go with the 4L80E because you won't have to drop $800 to upgrade a 4L60E when you get the same reliability in a 4L80E

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
What if I want to keep the rebuild under $500? Still worth it to get the 4L60E and rebuild/ shift kit it? Or just get the 4L80E. I don't wanna drop $800 into a 4L60E when I can spend $500 and get the same reliability outta a 4L80E. I suppose that is why people tend to go with the 4L80E because you won't have to drop $800 to upgrade a 4L60E when you get the same reliability in a 4L80E

You'd need to rebuild the 4L80 anyway if you pick up a cheap one with unknown mileage. They're not the indestructible transmission some make it out to be.......like anything else it wears out and there's no point in going through all the hassle for a 200K mile transmission. It's not a direct swap either, so you'd wind up spending the same amount or close to it when you factor in 2 new driveshafts, flexplate, tune, wiring, etc. Rebuild your 4L60 and drive it. You'll most likely get rid of the truck long before you ever have an issue unless you beat the piss out of it. You'd come out ahead from a cost perspective with a slightly beefed up 4L60 vs a stock, rebuilt 4L80 with the cost of swapping it in. Reliability is a toss up between the two. I put 65-70K miles per year on a 4L60 with no issues.

And will a 2wd 4L80E work in a 4x4?

Not directly, no.

Remember dude, you get what you pay for. Cheap out now and you'll pay for it later.

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From a cost and feasibility standpoint, you're better off sticking with a 4L60. I buy them all the time for $75-$150 in working an nonworking order. A few simple upgrades and it will be plenty reliable. Google "oregon performance transmission" and check their prices on that transgo kit. I would advise picking up a complete overhaul kit from them as well. Usually a builder will knock off a significant amount of the cost if you supply everything.

Quite honestly, the main reason 4L60s get a bad rap is people flat out abuse them and expect them to last forever. They have their weak points in original condition, but that can be largely corrected with a heavy duty sunshell and extra 3/4 friction. A 4L80 is no more reliable than a 4L60 when you average it out. If you beat on it, it will fail as easily as a 4L60 will. There's also the issue of gear ratios. In a stock vehicle, especially one that's heavy you can't beat the low 1st gear ratio of a 4L60. A 4L80 has better gear splits which lends itself to being better for towing, but the tall 1st gear is something of a tradeoff.

I'll agree with this I've had plenty of vehicles with 4L60E all over 200k and they've held up fine with DD and towing, You just gotta drive it right and not beat the hell out of it