4L60 Rebuild????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

naphidim

Reaction score
This will be my first time ever rebuilding a transmission, I have a 1990 Chevy v6 4.3l TBI engine with a muncie/getrag 290 5speed w/overdrive tranny in it. Going to be swapping out for a 4L60 Tranny. Decided I would try to find one at a junkyard and just rebuild it? My question- Is the 4L60 tranny one of the easier rebuilds, i have the rebuild manual for it, so figured just take it one step at a time and i should be ok. Am i in way over my head since i am kind of a beginner mechanic.......should i just by a rebuilt one, new one, or should I rebuild one?

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Build it yourself... you will be proud everytime it shifts! Make sure its a later model 30 spline 700R4. The easiest way to make the lockup kit is the relay kit. Any questions just post them or welcome to mssg.

naphidim

Reaction score
Thanx, u got any ideas of mods i could do since i'm gonna be in there anyway, i want to try to keep it as friendly MPG as possible but also would like to be able to go around someone slow on the road quickly if i had to, get my drift, i know i pretty much have to sacrifice and try to meet somewhere in the middle with it but any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanx again

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Master kit with all the gaskets and o-rings

Steel Plates

High energy Raybestos Frictions

High energy Band

3/4 Molded Piston

Heavy Duty (BEAST) Sunshell

Heavy Duty 29 Element Sprag

13 Vane Pump Kit With High rev and Hardened Rings

Superior Shift Kit (optional)

Corvette Servo

.500 Boost Valve

Teflon Front Pump Bushing

Filter

Sonnex Throttle Valve no stick spring

Relay Lockup kit

naphidim

Reaction score
also one last thing, i have a manual transmission right now ok, so is the 4L60 tranny also equipped with a floor shift or is it a column shifter? could of sworn it was a floor shifter but now not so sure....

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Master kit with all the gaskets and o-rings

Steel Plates

High energy Raybestos Frictions

High energy Band

3/4 Molded Piston

Heavy Duty (BEAST) Sunshell

Heavy Duty 29 Element Sprag

13 Vane Pump Kit With High rev and Hardened Rings

Superior Shift Kit (optional)

Corvette Servo

.500 Boost Valve

Teflon Front Pump Bushing

Filter

Sonnex Throttle Valve no stick spring

Relay Lockup kit

If you put a shift kit/ shift improver you do not need a corvette servo... All the Corvette servo does is firms the 1-2 shift and the shift kit will do that.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The vette servo applies more pressure to the 2/4 band... It helps more in holding power against more torque. That is the main advantage. A crispier shift is a bonus. It is most defiantly needed as the band is a week link in a 700R4. We don't build a 700R4 without at least a vette servo.