454 tbi to vortec mpfi intake swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vogey

Reaction score
Im looking at buying a 95 3/4ton suburban with tbi 454, same person has a complete 99 454 vortec with rod knock. Id like to swap out the tbi and run the mpfi vortec intake (with a mild cam possibly) while i build the 99 block. Im looking to get 450-500hp and as close to 600+ lbs of torque and 15+mpg highway. Back to the question has anyone swapped out the tbi for vortec intake would it improve hp and mpg over the tbi?

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you're planning on swapping over the entire fuel system: Fuel rail, Lines, injectors, wiring harnesses, computer, plus all of the sensors or are you thinking stand alone fuel management? And can I ask where your estimate of getting 15+ mpg comes from?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As Tom said, you'd have to swap everything from the vortec truck. And it's possible to get 15 mpgs if you're on stock tires, and are empty, while driving it nicely.

Your power goals are a bit lofty, especially with the gen 5 heads. Unless you're swapping those for the l29 heads? It can be done but it could take some work. Even with that you're looking at 400 hp maybe, not sure on torque.

Just an fyi, stock injectors don't support much more than 300 hp btw.