454 (7.4L) swap / repair options - 1999 Suburban K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still think all us 454 owners need to come together and make a new thread regarding these beasts like FSC had.

As far as options regarding an L29, my personal opinion is go with what was there if your budget is tight; but a few simple upgrades like a good cam and an 0411 will really wake these pigs up. If money were no option, I vote swapping in a 12-Valve,
I plan on doing a mild(ish) build on my mill when the time comes. I'm hoping to see the 400 horse mark and possibly 600/650TQ.

If you're near Charlotte I have a balancer installer. For '96-'99 BB. And a lot of other BB proprietary tools. Now I've gone to the dark side and driving a Fiat truck. But it goes good with 12k load...if it goes...[emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've had those evil thoughts of selling my old wagon for a either Ram with a 5.9L Cummins, an old OBS 7.3PSD, or an LB7 Duramax; but then I started comparing prices of those trucks in the same mileage range and same overall condition of my truck....so it's gonna stick around a while. I hope I can beef it up so it can keep up with my friend's hot rod 7.3;

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These modern diesels kick butt. HP and torque are incredible. Gas cannot begin to compete. Diesels are less than ideal for DD. And they are quite expensive to own and maintain. And don't ever break one...gawd hep you.
One other thingy about diesels are the "bad" years. Diesel buyers better beware.

OK. As was well stated, don't start any updates until thinking thru to the end and form a clear idea of what a 'rational' end result should look like. Adding horses is another way of describing 'the law of diminishing returns.'
Formulate a plan, add in all the extraneous crap needed to cpmplete your plan and price it out realistically. You buy that '0411 PCM, but no factor for tune....X 2 or 3. Oops.
The most bang for the bucks are carbs. Now a lot of folks are offended by this, but it's true. The only downside is emissions regs.
Keep in mind what the goal looks like. And the budget. Working with a 6500 lb truck and keeping it functional for towing is a conundrum. The higher the HP, the higher the RPM range for useable torque. Technology has improved the correlation, but it won't help on a Chevy 7.4. When shopping cams, look at the profile plots with HP vs torque curves. And idle quality. You cannot run much over 9:1 CR on pump gas and tow. You could on some engines, but not with a 7.4. What will offer the best outcome is really a healthy engine with good exhaust and intake with a mild torque cam.
Most of the exotica that some of us produce is only done because we can. The build is entertainment. And then the toy gets disappeared and away we go again.
Have you considered a diesel 'burb? [emoji857]
You must be registered for see images attach

oifla

Reaction score
Can you provide budget to help narrow in the suggestions?

good question. i guess it depends on which way i end up going. i'm not super interested in pumping a ton of cash into the 454 because (see below) i've not been super impressed with its output. also, i know its going to need other work (injectors, etc). if i was to find a decent running donor, then i'd be willing to put up some more cash, especially if the newer engine ends up prolonging the life of the truck (it's a truck that has spent 90% of its life in california and is in good shape, checks all our boxes for family activities, etc.)

not trying to weasel out of giving a number just trying to assess things.

oifla

Reaction score
Pull valve covers, find out what cyl has slop in pushrod/rocker. Check compression, find out what cyl is wrong. Go from there.

sound advice and i will be doing just this ASAP in order to figure out a baseline on the 454.

oifla

Reaction score
One biggie negative, it will not pass emissions and will be destined for off-road use only [emoji6]

one advantage to living in Indiana is no emissions testing. i'd still try to run cats, etc. but yeah, not worried about testing. thanks for the info on the 6.0L, will look at your build

oifla

Reaction score
Here's what got me going towards the swap idea (in summary form):

- this truck has been well cared for but i've never been impressed with the 454. i don't know, maybe it's never run at its best but my experience with this engine has been a let down. lots of gas for what doesn't seem to be very impressive performance (towing or not). to clarify, i know this is a heavy truck, i get that but i expected more from the vaunted big block.

- it's time to pay attention to it and do some updating: it's got little issues (started having oil presure issues, vanishing coolant, injectors that bleed down, etc.). even at only 150K it needs attention

- since i hate the auto trans (hence the NV4500 waiting in the wings), timing for a swap is not terrible

- also, i've done other swaps (not into a Suburban) so i'm not afraid of the work

thanks to the suggestions here i'm leaning towards giving it another go. for one, it makes sense to try to fix this engine even if i'm going in another direction (i could potentially sell the 4L80e with a good running motor. if i get it running strong again i'll have a better sense of what it can do.

will start opening things up as soon as i get a chance, will keep you all posted