411 PCM/EFILive/HPT/etc. Ignition Trigger Type Modification?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have an engine that started life as a 1996 L31 which I built for an old B body. It was being run by Megasquirt with individual coils using a 60-2 tooth crank trigger wheel that I got from eficonnection. That car has moved on, but I still have the engine and plan to install it in my Tahoe Limited. The Tahoe has a much higher level of electronic integration, so I would like to run a 411 ECM so that I can keep the stock gauge cluster, cruise control, etc.

It seems like I have 3 options:
  • Continue running Megasquirt but find some way to "piggyback" the stock ECM to run all the other interior bits. Is this possible?
  • Convert back to the stock trigger and distributor so I can run the van base cal the way most people do with a 411. I'd like to avoid this considering the benefits of running coil-per-plug with a more accurate trigger.
  • Build some kind of a custom calibration that can work with the 411 and 60-2 trigger.
I don't really want to do the first one, because so many places are requiring vehicle inspections with functional OBDII these days.

I have not been able to find a clear answer to the third one. I know you can run 24X triggers using an LS base cal using EFILive, but beyond that, the only tuning software I really have experience with is tunerstudio for the Megasquirt setup. Is it possible to change or modify trigger types with the stock ECM?

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With a 411 your choices are stock 4x or 24x. Beyond that you'd be writing code yourself.

Okay, thanks. I like a straightforward answer, even if it's not the one I wanted:cheers:

24x looks doable so considering my preference for individual coils, that's probably the way I will end up going.