Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hmm. Well if you're already used to the 5.7 you will probably loathe the 4.3. My friend had an '88 C1500 SLX Regular cab/Short box automatic that was pretty gutless. Now, on the backroads up in Flint it was just fine when at speed but getting there was a little tedious. Could have just been the slushbox automatic that was plaguing it but that's the only experience I have with a TBI 4.3. Vortec 4.3 is much better, buddy has one in his 2001 C1500 Regular cab/Long box truck, five speed that he bought brand new. Has 260k miles on it now and uses maybe a quart of oil between oil changes and he only changed the oil when the truck told him it was time. He of course regrets that now but in his words, "It's too late to start loving this truck."

SlushFund

Reaction score
I have a 4.3 in my '93 with over 300k on the original motor and NV3500 and it's been great. As long as you gear it correctly you will be fine. Lighter can be a benefit while offroading. Less torque is easier on the 10 bolt too.. I even tow a 19' carolina skiff and it does well. Not a torque monster but gets the job done.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 4.3 2wd rcsb and find it pretty peppy. I do tow a boat without any trouble but do live in an area without many big hills. You will have trouble if you start putting taller tires without a gear change. I was fooling around with a buddy the other day when he pulled along side and we both hit it from about 20 mph. I walked his extended cab 99 4x4 with 5.7. I think the extended cabs are much heavier but don't know how much.

leakers

Reaction score
I live half a world away in New Zealand, I would jump on it in a second...I drive a 2wd , 88 rcsb with V6 and 5 speed....I have towed huge loads for long distance regularly for 5 years.... the V6 absolutely handles it...it is economical, and has sufficient power for the job. The only thing I would like is 4wd..... I get stuck on wet grass with a little slope sometimes.

Last edited:

TravisR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 4.3 2wd rcsb and find it pretty peppy. I do tow a boat without any trouble but do live in an area without many big hills. You will have trouble if you start putting taller tires without a gear change. I was fooling around with a buddy the other day when he pulled along side and we both hit it from about 20 mph. I walked his extended cab 99 4x4 with 5.7. I think the extended cabs are much heavier but don't know how much.

This site says 3700 lbs for regular cab 2wd (could be long bed). I had my ECSB 4x4 over scales a few months ago and it was 4800 without me in it. So I'd say at least a 1,000 lb difference. That's quite an advantage when rolling on from 20 mph.

I've had three 4.3 V6 trucks and two 5.7 trucks (all TBI, not vortec) and I prefer the way the V6 drives and the fuel economy. I'd only need the V8 for when a load is just too heavy for the V6.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
4.3s are good run around trucks, My 93 is perfect for trips to town, it's economical and the power it makes is not that bad behind a 5 speed. Now would I take long trips in a 4.3 truck, no I'd rather have something with power because I know I'm going to pass people and want A/C!

Vortec 350s had plenty amounts of power, my 350 tbi wasn't too bad either and neither is my 4.3 tbi with a tune up.