4.3??? Would like to know more about it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vandyguy18

Reaction score
Been interested in buying another gmt400 model and I saw that they had 4.3 manuals in them or autos. What are the pro and cons besides towing. I don't do much towing or hauling. We get snows from 0-6" and hardly any floods. What mods to motor can be done.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
same as a 350 such as cam, bore/pistons. not sure if there's a stroker kit or not.
manual vs auto: you won't be doing any heavy hauling with either.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Vortec 4.3 has net lash valvetrain, precluding a 'simple' cam swap. It can be done, but you would need to make the valvetrain adjustable.

Had pics of one apart a while ago.

Tuning the stock computer will give you better driveability and power.

You must be registered for see images attach

In this picture, one valve, the closest one in the picture is stuck open, it seized in the guide. The camshaft and the lifter was fine, the pushrod took the brunt of the force.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a 4.3 for 10 years. They are good engines. A 350 - 2 cylinders. A muffler without any restrictions and a high flow cat will help some. There is a lot of aftermarket support for these engines. A lot of s-10 have them. They also give decent fuel millage. GM still makes a 4.3L

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 4.3 in a 2wd rcsb. It has plenty of power for my needs and is good on gas. If I wanted more power I would do an LS swap as it wouldn't cost much more than a high performance motor build but it would sound like a V8 when done.

USAF Long

Reaction score
I have a 4.3L and 700R4 w/ shift kit in my truck. I've got no cat, flowmaster 40 muffler, EGR removed, injector pod spacer, hypertech "salad bowl", and K&N filter, and electric fan. Timing is advanced 8 degrees. I towed a car on a trailer weighing 6000 lbs total from Wichita Kansas to St. Joseph Michigan. It took a while getting up to speed and climbing hills would sometimes cause it to lose speed but I was able to get it going 85 mph through Chicago. 4.10 gears would help a bunch. So would a V8 with more torque. I tow a 19 foot cuddy cabin boat with mine too. It does fine. Not a race truck, but pulls fine. I had a 2013 Ram Hemi that pulled better but it also cost $42k and had 390/409 hp/tq compared to this 4.3L 160/235 hp/tq. I got rid of the Dodge and kept the GMC because the GMC is paid for and is cheap to maintain. I miss that Dodge but not the truck payment and since I don't have my big boat anymore I didn't need to pay for a truck that just sat in my driveway and was hardly driven.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4.3L engines aren't worth much in my opinion. Have owned two myself, one with the auto and one manual. If you really feel the need to buy one, get the auto transmission. The 5 speeds force you to hunt for gears, especially because they are usually 2wd with 3.09 gears. My manual was fine for cruising at hwy speeds and would do 100mph + and hold it on the flats in Montana. The manual transmission trucks usually were work truck models with no options too. I will never own another 4.3.... ever. Most of the time you get V8 fuel economy and small v6 power. Why not just buy the 350? Properly tuned and maintained you can achieve decent fuel economy and then you have the power to back it up if you ever need it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most of the time you get V8 fuel economy and small v6 power.

I averaged 23MPG on my last tank of gas in my red truck, and that wasn't a particularly good average. I don't think it's ever been even close to V8 fuel economy. '97 Vortec 4.3L with stock 3.42 gears and a BBP tune. It will shred tires into second gear at WOT on dry pavement.

They're not V8s, but they're great little engines when maintained properly.