4.3 tbi backfiring and skip/miss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob Wilkie

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and have already found a ton of great info, still figuring out the forum though. Haven't found any threads on my particular problem but if there is one already, I apologize in advance. I've got a 1990 1500 with the 4.3 tbi with 235k on her. Single cab, long bed, 4wd, automatic. I personally know the older man that had it before for 14+ years and I know he took good care of it, never drove hard. Had a tune up done on it a year or so ago. The trouble I'm having is when it's under acceleration, I'd say about 1/2+ throttle, more so under WOT. If I'm stopped and put it to the floor, it'll sometimes backfire through the intake/throttle body 1-3 times while accelerating until it reaches a higher rpm (don't know what rpm as I do not have a tachometer). Will not do it every time and I can't make it do it, very intermittent. Also, it sometimes has a skip/miss when accelerating at about any throttle. This is also very intermittent and I cannot make the truck do it. Idles perfectly. Seems to run rougher and backfire more in 4wd (will backfire and run rough at lower rpm's in 4wd than 2wd). It's solely a hunting truck so it doesn't get driven much but does get driven at least twice a week, more during deer season. Have tried running 93 octane, gas and fuel additive and injector cleaner. Cruises down the road without missing a beat. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, not a mechanic by no means but enjoy doing what I can. This is my first 4.3 tbi so it's platform is new to me. I'm going to start with doing another full tune up here soon (plugs, wires, cap, rotor button, air filter, fuel filter). I've been reading where it could possibly be low fuel pressure, timing could be off, or the fuel regulator? Also, could a leaking/stopped-up injector cause this issue? Or what do you guys think? I'm open to any suggestions and help. Thanks

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Many years ago I had a 4.3 .......I noticed the inside of the distributor caps would carbon track every now and then and develop a miss , pull the cap off and wipe the inside real good ...its worth a shot and free . FWIW.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Your on the right track, popping through the intake is either running lean or ignition components needing replacement. Either way, stick to your list of tune-up parts to replace and check back in and let us know if that fixes it! good luck!

Uncle Jed

Reaction score
My 88 started out like that & the solution was to change the temp unit on intake as it was faulty, telling ecm engine was cold, to add more fuel, like a chok

Jacob Wilkie

Reaction score
Sorry for the long wait, fellas. Finally got a little time this past saturday to work on the truck. Didn't have time to the full tune up but I was able to replace the plugs and wires. Good Lord what a difference that made. No more back firing or skipping/misses. Runs like a top now! Forgot to take pictures of the plugs but they looked terrible. Will try to get some to upload this coming weekend. Can't wait to get the cap, coil and rotor on now! Thanks everyone for all the help again!