35's vs 33's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walkerstyle

Reaction score
Hey new to the forum, I have a 1995 GMC Sierra reg cab short bed. 6 inch procomp lift, with 4 inch block in back no add a leaf. I running a set of 35x 12.50 KM2's. Before I had a set of 35 All terrains. Ive noticed alot of diffrence in getting up to speed, braking distance, gas milage, and overall comfort of ride with the KM2s. I mean the thing is no cadillac and I have a 500 pound cab high dog box in the back. I like the KM2 off road when hunting but Im starting to consider some 33's. I could get by with all terrains but the mud terrain is there when ya need em. Do you think it would help imporve gas milage, comfort, accleration etc? or should I go back to the all terrains? Basicaly is there that much of a diff between the 33 and 35

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldnt go 33's it will look funny where your truck is so tall. I'm assuming you have a stock gear ratio since it seems like a bit of a slug. Try throwing some gears in it. If you offroad alot 4.10's or 4.56's would be ideal. They would help solve your gas mileage problem a little and give you some acceleration back.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also you went from an all-terrain to a mud-terrain. You cant expect them to ride the same. the m/t has a lot deeper tread and is a little bit of a heavier tire which helps it offroad but hurts it onroad. I dont think the change would be nearly as noticable as you are saying. I did some research and the 35" BFG a/t on a 15" rim weighs 54 lbs per tire and the m/t in the same exact size only weighs 61. Thats not much of a difference. When I went from a 35" BFG a/t on my 17" wheels to a Toyo m/t I gained about 20lbs per tire. Now that was noticable.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With stock gears I would go with the 33's. It wont look awkard with your 6" lift set down to 4" either. If you want to keep the 35's then regear to 4.56 gears atleast IMO. I did notice a fair difference in performance from 33 to 35's, even worse with heavy 35's. With the 33's my truck was driveable and didnt feel sluggish, once I put the 35's on it really wasnt fun driving and had single digit mpg. After 4.56 gears it is much better but now wish I had gone 4.88 for gears.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also you went from an all-terrain to a mud-terrain. You cant expect them to ride the same. the m/t has a lot deeper tread and is a little bit of a heavier tire which helps it offroad but hurts it onroad. I dont think the change would be nearly as noticable as you are saying. I did some research and the 35" BFG a/t on a 15" rim weighs 54 lbs per tire and the m/t in the same exact size only weighs 61. Thats not much of a difference. When I went from a 35" BFG a/t on my 17" wheels to a Toyo m/t I gained about 20lbs per tire. Now that was noticable.

I remember back when I was looking at getting my pitbull tires I had posted about tire weights. It was something like for every 10lbs of unsprung wight is equal to 100lbs of sprung weight. My rockers weighed in at 15lbs per tire more. The weight was noticeable but not to bad. Noticed more loss when going from a 33 to 35. Even with tires the same weight.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I have 33's with a 3" body lift and I want more tire. Don't do 33"s. I have something like 8.5" of gab from top of my tire to the fender right now.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I remember back when I was looking at getting my pitbull tires I had posted about tire weights. It was something like for every 10lbs of unsprung wight is equal to 100lbs of sprung weight. My rockers weighed in at 15lbs per tire more. The weight was noticeable but not to bad. Noticed more loss when going from a 33 to 35. Even with tires the same weight.

10lbs on the axle = 100lbs in the the truck with you at all times, so 15 lbs a tires equats to a 600 lb ****** riding around in the cab at you at all times

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya I definately noticed when I gained 20 lbs per tire. It was a big difference. After gearing from 3.73 to 4.56 it wasn't too bad but still noticable. When I get new tires I am going to try to get something lighter than the TOYO M/T to hopefully get some MPG back. I love my TOYO's but man are they heavy.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have stock gears then 33's if you want 35's then put gears in it! Of course it's going to be a dog with stock gears and a 35 (compared to what it's made for the stock puny little 265's) I love my 4.56's made all the difference in the world.

4.56 and 35's it was faster and got better mileage, only down side was above 80 or so I ran out of gear. These 37's have mellowed it out a bit.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x2. On the freeway at 75-80 I am kinda up there in the RPM but all I do is slow down to about 68-72 and it seems to get better mileage.