350 tbi towing build 10,000 lbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Often times payload rating is more about what you can stop rather than what you can pull.

The gooseneck has trailer brakes and I will be installing a trailer brake controller before I ever pull it. Just wanted to know if the engine with a little work could handle it. The truck has 1 ton axles under it. I have pulled a bumper pull with a front end loader and a brush hog on the back in the past which was about 7,500-8000 lbs. at 65mph just wanted to know if it could pull more before I put a few grand in it. I plan on keeping the truck no matter what even if I do buy another diesel because it reminds me where I came from and what I started with. That old truck made me a lot of money in the past. It's never let me down. EVER

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Not sure on the mileage of the motor because the odometer is broke but I do know it is strong (because of driving 5 of them) And I live in Oklahoma so I'm not too worried about hills. Some hills but not big hills anyway. Trailer weighs around 6,500 lbs. so it'd probably be towing more than 10,000 lbs. I know the truck can pull it, it just won't like it. And I know y'all are probably going to tell me to get another diesel or put in a 454, but I don't want too if I don't have too. If I do, I'll probably get the dreaded dodge truck.. Ugh... With a cummins and a 5-6 speed. Nothing against a cummins and a nv4500/nv5600 just the dodge truck is sh** IMHO. Just love this old Chevy and want to make it work without putting 4-5k in it. And I don't want to put a cummins in it. Not right now anyways...

The truck will pull it, and pull it better with deeper gearing or shorter tires, or both.
I wouldn't worry about your RPM at 70 mph. That being said, you will be overweight, and subject to fines, etc if you are caught overweight. From a legally defensible standpoint, you would be F*K'd.

Caldwell

Reaction score
The truck will pull it, and pull it better with deeper gearing or shorter tires, or both.
I wouldn't worry about your RPM at 70 mph. That being said, you will be overweight, and subject to fines, etc if you are caught overweight. From a legally defensible standpoint, you would be F*K'd.

No kidding?? I figured the truck was legal up to at least 10k but I'm not sure because it has no factory stickers to tell me so...

Does anyone know that the gcwr on a 1989 Chevy 2500hd with a sm465 is??

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I have pulled a trailer ( with a proper weight distributing hitch and brake controller ) that weighed close to 8800 pounds loaded with my K1500. ( 5.0L + 3.73 and stock tire diameter )

That being said, I was over capacity, and I would not recommend doing that. Even with the tires pumped to the maximum recommended pressure, the rear frame rail section was 'walking', which was not confidence inspiring.

Brakes are the number one thing when it comes to towing, in order to be able to stop that combination, you need brakes that are working properly on the truck.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Might not want to hear this but you would be money and effort ahead if you just bite the bullet and stick a 454 in with a rv cam and port polish heads. A tbi 454 is somewhere around the 385ft lb from the factory.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed you mentioned a semi floater rear end?? If so that's not a 2500hd, you would need to have the full floater 14 bolt to be the HD.

As a comparison, I drive a 98 k2500 with the full floater, 454 and 5 speed. It's only rated for towing 10,000lbs