350 tbi towing build 10,000 lbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a 1989 Chevy 2500 hd with a 350 tbi. I'm wanting to know what I could do to make around 375-400 lbs. tq. towards the low end of the rpm range. It has an sm465 and 3.73 gears in the rear limited slip. I need it to pull a 34 ft. gooseneck. Am I out of my mind or not (btw it's not a light duty.) I have a 2006 Ford F-250 lariat fx4 with a 6.0 but I'm tired of sinking money in it so I'm selling it. That old Chevy is the only truck that I've ever had that has never left me stranded so I figured why not put some money into it and I've had that other trucks like an 08 duramax, 11 6.7 powerstroke and that 6.0 powerstroke. They kept costing me money so that's why they are gone. That old Chevy is the only thing I knew I could count on to get me through. I have a landscaping business and use the trailer to pull trees, stone, pallets of mortar/concrete, and sometimes equipment, etc. Just want to know what I need to do: cam, heads, supercharger, what?? Sorry guys for the long question, I'm just at wits end with putting too much money in a vehicle and it not paying for itself.

Thanks in advance

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
All depends on your budget. A lot of guys tow anything they can load with these trucks just fine (especially with a manual and even better with that sm465 manual). Granted they might not be great in traffic like that but they get the job done for an occasional overloaded tow.

For you owning a business though an occasional tow isn't part of your plans. To do it right, and if you have enough money, I would start with a freshly machined block and start from scratch the way you want it or get a crate motor. If your talking cam, heads and supercharger then a fresh bottom end thats built to handle all of those isn't much more to add to that bill.

But luckily the rest of your 8-bolt drive train will be rock solid for that 400ish HP goal.

Caldwell

Reaction score
All depends on your budget. A lot of guys tow anything they can load with these trucks just fine (especially with a manual and even better with that sm465 manual). Granted they might not be great in traffic like that but they get the job done for an occasional overloaded tow.

For you owning a business though an occasional tow isn't part of your plans. To do it right, and if you have enough money, I would start with a freshly machined block and start from scratch the way you want it or get a crate motor. If your talking cam, heads and supercharger then a fresh bottom end thats built to handle all of those isn't much more to add to that bill.

But luckily the rest of your 8-bolt drive train will be rock solid for that 400ish HP goal.

Well I was hoping to only spend at the most about $2500. I can spend more but wanted to put the money into the body and painting it to make it look presentable. High in customers like mine probably won't like an old beat up truck lol

Caldwell

Reaction score
i'd start with a 14 bolt full floater and 4.56 gears.......

Well I've got a semi floater and I don't want to replace that. I don't want to go 4.56 maybe 4.10 but I'm all ready at 3,150 rpm with 3.73 gears unloaded at 70 mph.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
what's the max weight of the trailer?
what kind of driving conditions....traffic, hilly back-roads, flat highway?
what shape is the current motor in....how many miles?

Caldwell

Reaction score
what's the max weight of the trailer?
what kind of driving conditions....traffic, hilly back-roads, flat highway?
what shape is the current motor in....how many miles?

Not sure on the mileage of the motor because the odometer is broke but I do know it is strong (because of driving 5 of them) And I live in Oklahoma so I'm not too worried about hills. Some hills but not big hills anyway. Trailer weighs around 6,500 lbs. so it'd probably be towing more than 10,000 lbs. I know the truck can pull it, it just won't like it. And I know y'all are probably going to tell me to get another diesel or put in a 454, but I don't want too if I don't have too. If I do, I'll probably get the dreaded dodge truck.. Ugh... With a cummins and a 5-6 speed. Nothing against a cummins and a nv4500/nv5600 just the dodge truck is sh** IMHO. Just love this old Chevy and want to make it work without putting 4-5k in it. And I don't want to put a cummins in it. Not right now anyways...

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i know you've proably heard "just because you can PULL doesn't mean you should". you're wanting that truck to do more than it can.

what's wrong with a nice 1991 Dodge extended cab 2WD 5.9? that can safely and legally tow dang near 12K. that's as reliable a brick...and it'll easily do what you want it to do.

i know this isn't what you want to hear.....maybe someone else can tell you how to get what you want.....what you want and what you need are two different things.