305 vs 350 durability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnBravo

Reaction score
I know a guy that has 460,000+ miles on his original 305 (he did replace the transmission iirc). He has done some contracting/construction work, and that truck has seen its fair share of hard work. He loves the truck :)

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow. What kind of oil & filters does he run & what are his OCI's?
Probably the cheapest thing there is a d every 20k miles or when he gets around to it lol.
Seems to be the case on high mileage work trucks. Makes ya rethink expensive boutique miracle oils

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 305 was also a very common and reliable boat engine. I have one in my 20 foot bowrider. Its a 1990 and had the original engine until the p/o let it sit outside full of water and the block cracked. When the machine shop cracked it open they were impressed with the lack of wear and how clean everything was underneath. I replaced the engine only 5 years ago too. With the right prop I can tow 4 person tubes all day long on a half tank of fuel or throw a more aggressive prop on it to do 50 mph+. With a 2BBL Mercarb and the right marine cam, ours puts out around 220HP. I have considered an aluminum intake and a small 4BBL carb for better low end pulling power but it can make it harder to start, especially since its already a cold blooded thing.

JohnBravo

Reaction score
Probably the cheapest thing there is a d every 20k miles or when he gets around to it lol.
Seems to be the case on high mileage work trucks. Makes ya rethink expensive boutique miracle oils

This is pretty accurate lol we've talked extensively about finances, money, saving, etc., I'm thinking he mentioned every 5-6k miles he'd put in whatever was on sale with the cheapest filter because "oil is oil is oil as long as it's clean." I'm sure there are exceptions, but it works for him. I wish I knew what my truck's previous owner used...this engine is a quiet smooth-runner at 225k miles.

mistaake

Reaction score
305s are just as tough as 350s. I currently own a 92 C1500 with a 305... almost 250K miles, no leaks, no oil consumption, runs great, starts right up, engine sounds healthy... and I'm quite certain that's the original engine, at least that's what the previous owner told me. That truck is on its 2nd 700R4 though ;)

I'm about to sell it to buy a Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban but if I were to keep it I would not hesitate to drive that truck anywhere anytime. Part of me wants to keep it and be the proud owner of a truck with 300K on the original engine but I just have no need for a pickup with an open bed...