305 TBI Running Rich EXTREMELY HOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhilCP

Reaction score
1991 stepside scottsdale with a tbi 305

Body says 333,3xx KM

Have owned it for about 3 months now, ran like a dream until one day I started it up, and it was running rough, trying to stall.

I took it down the road and at a half decent speed, i heard a bit of a pop and the engine jumped a bit, then it will run great for the rest of the day or until it was shut off again, then same problem.

The smell of fuel while its running rough like this is unbelievable strong, and the exhaust from manifolds to muffler is red hot. Glowing. Can light a cigarette off of it. I dropped the cat and it is crystal clear.

I am new to this style truck, Have always loved them, just waited years to find me one in fantastic shape and here we are.

Distributor
Wires
Plugs

all done by previous owner not that long ago..

Can post pictures but the amount of undercoating is also sickening... overkill.

Common problems with these pigs?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check if the catalytic is plugged up.. possible O2 sensor.. and is you engine light on.. 91 is obd1 so it's easy to check it.. can do it with a paperclip..lol.

sent from what use to be a great country..

PhilCP

Reaction score
Check timing for sure

I had someone else tell me this today as well.. must be a sign. will check timing.

Also i dropped the cat, its perfectly fine. looks brand new. no CEL at all..

very strange

Hood93z

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is doing the exact same thing I've changed all the sensors except the throttle position sensor checked timing multiple times new ignition control module..... Nothing seemed to help, I'm gonna check my timing chain and install a new fuel pump if I find something out I will definetly let you know...

Not saying that none of the stuff I changed won't help yours mine has gradually got worse and worse until tonight it won't even run

PhilCP

Reaction score
Figured I would let you guys know I fixed it.. Turns out the throttle body was literally floating. PO didn't tighten it up when he was in there... Trucks been great ever since