3.08 to 3.42

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Agreed!!! I had a 79 Malibu that was a factory 4-speed, had 3.08s in it.

My '80 Malibu had 3.73 gears behind a relatively mild 350 & TH350. 8.32-8.34 all day in the 1/8th. Wasn't the quickest car I've owned, but it was the most fun daily driver I've ever had.
Hopefully a torquey Caddy engine will have me looking for lower gears than the 4.10s in it now.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went from a 3.42 to a 3.73 and I took a six hour trip and I made better mpg put on a Auburn posi as well it sure helps getting off the line and much fun when it rains

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Higher gear ratios are a crutch for poor torque. Big blocks work well with highway gears. Then again, all my big block experience is in big block Cadillacs.

Alternatively you can change your tire size. I have a set of dinky tires I put on my Mustang when I autocross it. They drop the car almost an inch and put me right in my power band. It looks a little goofy, but makes a huge difference in performance.

I understand what you're saying, except that I wouldn't call it a crutch. Big blocks add more weight, and if you're adding a 4L80E to the mix, also more weight and even MORE sluggy gearing.

Going to a higher gear ratio can be quite easy just by swapping in a junkyard rear axle. Even gutting and rebuilding the existing rear end is monumentally easier than a big block swap, especially if you're trying to retain fuel injection.

Having never rebuilt a rear end before, I did the research and rebuilt my 10-bolt over a weekend and have no regrets going from 3.42 to 4.10......except that now I kinda wished I had gone 4.56 just because my Sub doesn't do tons of 70mph cruising.

I'm eyeballing a couple S10's and Rangers for sale around here and if I get one of them, it's getting a 4.56 swap at some point, especially if it's a 4-banger.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
big blocks weigh bout 150lbs more than a small block, and I've had many big blocks and regardless of gearing none of them were slouches. But this isn't about SB vs BB, I have 3.42s in my Tahoe (2wd) and is perfect for me. There are alot of hills where I am, even still the 205k 350 pulls em just fine. I'm not building it for pulling or towing, but for a fun toy. Going from 3.42s, to 3.73s to 4.10s, each change is barely 200 RPM. At 70 I'm turning 2k, going with a 4L80 will raise that a touch, they don't have a steep OD as 4L60s. Check out 4lo.com, they have a bunch of calculators and tranny ratios, makes it easier to find final drive.